Saturday, February 6, 2010

Picture Day

Today has been a good day. Instead of having a headache all day long like yesterday, Van didn’t get one until 6:00 this evening. He had picture re-takes today for the Leukemia patient picture board in the hall. The first picture they took he looked like a sickly cancer patient and he couldn’t stand looking at it. Today he got all dressed up in a dark blue polo shirt with his BYU blanket as the background. That will give some variety to the picture collection they have. The nurses have discussed where on the board they can put his picture so they can easily cover it up with red. We are truly one of the very few BYU fans here. Most of the nurses and Doctors are “Ute” fans. It’s hard to stand up for what you believe in, but it shows in everything we do, wear or decorate with.

Van has been busy spending time in the scriptures preparing talks that he will give at Stake Conference at the end of the month. This is actually quite therapeutic keeping his mind off his sickness.

Van said, “They say I have cancer but I don’t feel like I have cancer. It’s not the cancer that is making me sick, nauseated, delirious with a myriad of other side effects, it’s all the medicines. What they say is true--the Chemo and medications are worse than the cancer itself. But without them I wouldn’t be alive. So what do you do? Every day that I’m on this side of the turf it is a good day.”

He was cut free of his I.V. today and we went on a nice walk around the floor. They just opened up the other side of the 8th floor to add more beds for Leukemia patients which includes an out-patient clinic. It has taken a year to remodel and we are one of the first to get to enjoy it.

I decided we needed to have a date so we watched a Redbox movie, ate Big Hunk candy bars, corn nuts, and drank a lot of sodas (orders from the doctors – to drink a ton).

Thanks again everyone for all your faith and prayers. They are greatly needed.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like that was one hot date! Van's comments about cancer and treatments remind me of my daddy, who was a dialysis patient for MANY years. People would say things to him like, "I don't know how you do it" (which I'm sure, you know, is a silly, "I'm not sure what to say," sort of comment) to which he would respond, "It's better than the alternative!" And he was right. At least for then. Now that he's moved on to the alternative and experienced it for a good 5 years, I'm sure, while he'd like to hug my mother,he would say that the alternative is much better than he ever dreamed it would be. Go BYU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pres. Header and Sis. Heder,

    Wow, I just got caught up on your blog. I haven't read for the last 3 weeks. I am back to work gradually increasing the load. Starting tomorrow full time. I didin't think something so simple as going back to work was a blessing but after reading about you I'm sure you would relish the chance to go back to work. Sis Halladay has had an arthritic flare but things are under controll. Tender mercies from the Lord. We pray for you morning and night and are part of the beam. If you look clearly it is the bright BLUE part of the beam. What can those UTE fans say when we beat them in football and then in basketball too! I feel that when we get to the other side and reflect back on this episode of yours we will scratch our chins and say, "So that's why that had to happen." I was listening to Pres Monson's Priesthood talk from April 2009 and he said again that the Lord watches over us and guides us. Imagine what life would be without Him. I used to pray for your comfort and endurance. Now I pray for that and your recovery followed by a long life. We do all we can and then trust in the Lord with all our heart. I sure hope you can get over your nausea. I am so glad to hear that Sis Heder's heart has been treated successfully. Now whenever you see the Dr that performed the procedure you can tell him that he touched your heart deeply!!! You have a great family. What support. Enjoy your parents while you have them. What a blessing! We love you and will continue to exert our faith and prayers in your behalf. Thank you so much for the blog. By the way we went to the Bountiful temple two weeks ago and then to the China Platter to eat. When they ask where we were from and we told them Tooele the owner said, "Bruce the fireman sent you didn't he?" Small world. Keep the faith, Go Blue. Cougars are survivors.

    Love, The Halladays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I was just directed to your blog by a friend. I was in Brother Heder's seminary class at Tooele High School during the 2003-2004 school year. He was a wonderful seminary teacher and one of the honestly nicest, funniest people ever (even if he did tease me a lot...). I just wanted to let him know that my prayers are with him, and I'm glad to see that he seems to be in good spirits.

    Also, I'm leaving on Wednesday, February 10th for the MTC. I'll be there for 8 weeks learning Spanish before leaving for a mission in Dallas, Texas. I thought he would like to know that.

    Tell him I said thank you for his kindness and for all of the wonderful lessons. The year I was a freshmen, long before I was ever in his class, he shook my hand one day on the way into seminary and he said, "Wow! I love your handshake! There's testimony in that handshake!" To this day that's probably one of the best compliments I've ever been given.

    God bless you all through the upcoming months.



    P.S. Tell Nicole I said hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Travis Mathews. I'm not sure how to create a profile so I'm posting as anonymous. Thank you for the blog. I'm sure it's not easy to do. But I appreciate the ability to keep tabs on your family and doings. I read it every day.

    You guys are a great example of how we all should be. Reading your blog makes me realize how much you guys meant to me and our family when we lived in Tooele and I'm truly sorry for not staying in better contact. When my family was going through a similar trial the Heder's were awesome friends and amazing supports to us. Van especially was a true friend and I will always be grateful for the talks we had together.

    Our prayers our with you. Get better soon as we would love to come visit next time we are in Tooele to rekindle old friendships.

    Van, you are a great example to me in how you dedicate your life to God. I have already learned a lot from you about priorities and setting an example and defending truth in ALL we do, how we dress, what we say and who we are.

    I love the gospel and my Savior as I know you do and I know he loves us.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete