Friday, February 19, 2010

My Testimony!

My personal thoughts on this situation with Cancer

This is my testimony

Van Heder

I know Heavenly Father makes promises to his children. (For example). Abraham received promises through the Abrahamic Covenant that he would be a “father of many nations”. These promises would be realized through Isaac (Hebrews 11:17-19). So, when the Lord commanded Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, Abraham was able to exercise perfect faith—knowing that because of the promises, God would raise Isaac from the dead, if it came to that (in order to fulfill the promises). President Henry B. Erying has said, “Perfect faith does not just know God can do something, but knows that he will”. Like Abraham, Heavenly Father has made promises to me. When I was diagnosed with Leukemia, Bishop Fivas and my Father-in-Law laid hands on my head and blessed me that I would overcome this illness and that it would be a means of bringing me closer to the Lord while preparing and qualifying me for greater service in the Lords kingdom. In my Patriarchal Blessing the Lord also promises me a long and productive life and that I will be able to accomplish all the goals that I seek to accomplish in righteousness. When the Lord says something, he means it! He always comes through. This I know to be true. I have promises that must yet be realized, goals that I have yet to accomplish—therefore, this cancer will pass. I am happy to stay the course and receive the tutoring that must come through this experience. The Lord is in charge. I believe that if I am living my life right, no matter what happens—good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant, disastrous or otherwise, it is right. It is the Lord’s will. There are no coincidences. In Gethsemane the Savior said “Father, Thy will be done”. He meant it. No matter the incomprehensible agonies that would follow. At this time in my life I can honestly say that those words are mine as well. I want what the Lord wants—no matter how unpleasant the outcome. He knows best. This will all work to my good. The night before I was diagnosed with this cancer, I was on my knees asking Heavenly Father for greater faith. This whole experience is just another testament to me of our Fathers love for his children. He is willing to answer our prayers if we are willing to receive the answers. This is my testimony.

6 comments:

  1. You are so amazing!! So many people would be angry and wallowing is self pitty!! I am not surprised by your attitude or your faith, you are so inspiring!!! Thank you for sharing that with us, I really needed that today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van- I loved reading this. Thank you for posting it! I hope that as my family and I face whatever trials are ahead of us that we can have faith like that! Okay now, I know that you need something to giggle about every now and then, so go check out the video I posted on my blog today. Just some little clips of my baby, but they will make you LAUGH OUT LOUD! And laughter, after all, is the BEST medicine, right? Keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your stirring testimony Van. We too feel that we too are better people for the manner in which YOUR famiy, and extended family, have carried forth ~ during this time; and times we have known your parents from long before. Your daddy's testimony touched the hearts of my convert family long ago ~ and is the same testimony now from his son. Your typical Heder way of living life; whether in good times or trying, is the most powerful testimony of all. Our family truly wishes that you and your precious wife can have a rest from the heavy burdons that have surrounded you; and we find great cheer of the words of your Bishop! Thank you for continuing to be a 'Heder' (a name most respected by many)in both word and deed.
    Sincerely, Claudia Mittermeier Payne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your testimony! For being a latter-day example for faith through trials and endurance through pain. When I read your testimony I thought of my gratitude to ancient prophets, who recored their testimonies and their faith in God when they were in moments that tried their faith. How blessed we are that the Lord still provides a way for us to testify of Him through testimonies like yours! All of us are strengthened because of your humble faith and your positive attitude - because your life and my life and all our lives are really in His hands.
    My mind thought of something President Eyring said in April 2009 Conference: "The very opportunity for us to face adversity and affliction is part of the evidence of Their infinite love. God gave us the gift of living in mortality so that we could be prepared to receive the greatest of all the gifts of God, which is eternal life. Then our spirits will be changed. We will become able to want what God wants, to think as He thinks, and thus be prepared for the trust of an endless posterity to teach and to lead through tests to be raised up to qualify to live forever in eternal life."
    Van, thank you for being a LIVING example of His love for you and Your love for Him!
    We pray for you daily!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words of wisdom from my very own spirit- and love-filled cousin! As always, I'm in awe...and as always, you and yours are in my prayers.

    Hugs,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete