Friday, February 12, 2010

Our Romantic Date

I’ve always loved the romantic dates when you feed each other and since it is close to Valentine’s Day… Tonight I fed him (because he was so weak he couldn’t feed himself) but I pretended we were on a romantic date. I think I might have gotten a smile from him. He had a few spoonfuls of chicken broth, a cracker, and a few spoonfuls of peach yogurt. He still hasn’t been able to drink but I was his cheerleader today as he ate those few things.


He’s really miserable and wants his old body back. It really is discouraging when you can’t function or even stay awake. I drop everything I’m doing when he wakes up because it’s usually only for a few minutes. I talk as fast as I can and tell him everything I can think of. Then I start tickling his arm because it keeps his mind off of his situation and he’s off to sleep again.


Tonight, I read Van the scripture Alma 31:30-31. “O Lord, wilt thou give me strength that I may bear with mine infirmities… O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me. “ I know he can do it! We just have to be patient.

4 comments:

  1. Wendy, we were in attendance at the Valentine Dinner through the marriage coalition last night. It was nice to see them honor such a sweet couple. I don't know you or Van very well, but I have enjoyed getting to know you through your blog and they could not have picked a better couple to honor. Dave knows a few of your kids through teaching, including your daughter that recieved your award for you last night and our daughter Boston knows Kelly from school. It's been fun to read your blog and get to know you and Van a little now, too. Keep being strong and there for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new blanket--that's a very sister thing to do--and blankets (and quilts) are important "warm fuzzies" that run through the family history. This one will long be remembered and treasured. Do you know where they got the fabric?

    So sorry to hear that the turn was "south" instead of "north"...at least the nausea finally went down. I've decided that when his hair is all gone, Van'll be the new PosterMan for the "Bald is Beautiful" slogan--he's such a handsome guy.

    Love you both more than I can articulate--I mean, "say" (too much formal writing this morning, I guess--that's an English teacher)--

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that he isn't feeling well1! It is so hard to be patient, especially when you dont feel like yourself!! Chin up, "thine afflictions shall be but a small moment." I hope it starts to get better soon. Thanks for keeping us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GOLDEN MARRIAGE Award - just think of it! And you didn't need married for 50 years to get such a grand award! Thank you for your WONDERFUL example of marriage and family! Our thoughts and ALL our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete