Saturday, February 13, 2010

Our kids came to visit!


I got a phone call a few days ago telling me that Van and I were nominated to receive the Golden Marriage Award from the Healthy Marriage Coalition in Tooele.  They had a beautiful evening last night with dinner, dancing and a fabulous speaker – John Bytheway and his wife.  Lindsie (my daughter) and her husband Josh Boucher went and accepted the award for us because we were and still are in the hospital.  We truly wished we could have been there.  Van and I LOVE to ballroom dance, have a free dinner and be entertained and taught by one of my favorite speakers John Bytheway.  We have almost all of his tapes and cd’s and my kids listen to him at night as they are settling down to go to sleep.  Lindsie sat by his wife at the head table and LOVED it.  One secret that Lindsie told about us last night was when Van proposed to me he said, I will NEVER raise my voice to you.  And he hasn’t EVER raised his voice to me.   He is a wonderful husband and I’m so glad I’m married to him for ETERNITY!

 
Lindsie & Josh with John Bytheway and his wife at the Valentine's Dinner/Dance
 
Our kids came to visit us in the hospital today and they brought us some things.  A wonderful friend let us borrow a very thick memory foam mattress for Van’s hospital bed.  We made up his new bed while he was in the bathroom and he absolutely LOVES the mattress.  Another friend is going to buy a memory foam pillow because he keeps getting headaches and he thinks partly it’s because of the pillows and how he sleeps.  This will make him very comfortable. 

The kids, Josh and Lindsie just came to visit today and we had a great visit.  Van wasn’t able to talk but he could squeeze their hands (well three times in two hours) and they loved it.  He could hear most of the time but he just couldn’t talk.  It’s because the nausea, heavy sedating nausea medicines, fatigue and exhaustion from the Chemo and a painful pit in his stomach.  Josh (our son-in-law) shaved him with his electric shaver today because he didn’t have any strength to do it himself.
 Josh shaving Van because he had no strength to do it himself

But when Bishop and Cheri Fivas came to visit tonight he was a little more responsive.  This is probably because of Bishops positive exuberant attitude.  Bishop is convinced he is bringing him home Wednesday.  He says if the Doctor’s don’t release him, he is sneaking him out of the hospital so he can be with his buddy.  They talked about all the food they are going to eat when Van comes home like BBQ Chicken Pizza, Chinese, & Winger’s wings.  That put a smile on his face.
 Our kids came to visit their Dad


6 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, It was a pleasure to sit with your daughter and son-in-law last night at the Valentine's dinner, and to be inspired by the stories of your great marriage and bond. What wonderful parents you've been to your children who so obviously love and adore you. I haven't met you, but appreciate your amazing example nonetheless. Our prayers go out to your family at this time. May you find peace and love from those around you! Kisses! Kim Bytheway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for still writing for us Wendy! I appreciate all the pictures and updates. You are both great examples. :) Good luck taking care of all that he Lord requires of you. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of anyone more deserving of the award than the two of you! Congratulations!! You are both such a wonderful example to so many people. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. With love,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys so deserve that award!! The love that you two have for each other is something most only dream about!! I am glad to hear that he is more comfortable and is sleeping. I hope it gets better soon. Thanks for the updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heroes are people who do amazing things that catch our attention and then redirect our affection to them. I have several. You two are now on the list. Pres Heder you are becoming Job-ish. (I've always wanted to create a Maxwellism.) Not that your family and friends have turned on you but you are so patient for enduring without complaining or asking why. Sister Heder you are so strong in the care taker role while enduring your own trial. I pray you won't have nausea President and that you will overcome and be restored to your normal health. Sister Heder I am praying for your heart, physically, spiritually and emotionally. My heart goes out to both of you. I struggle to read of your illness. I pray for endurance for you. Thanks goodness for Bruce and Cheri Fivas. We all love them. Thanks Sister Heder for the blog. Everyone I talk to that knows you talks about the blog. It is great! We Love you and pray for you daily. What a great example. The Halladays

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for everyone's posts and emails. It really helps to know so many people are praying for us. Miracles happen when our faith is united. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete