Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Van speaking: After a week of chemo death, today started with a miracle. I hadn’t been able to eat anything for three days running. When the missionaries from the Hospital Branch stopped by to give us the Sacrament, they asked if there was anything else they could do, to which I replied, “I sure could use a blessing”. They happily obliged and blessed me that my body would take nourishment and I would regain my strength. Almost immediately I desired food which hadn’t been the case for days. I was able to eat breakfast and dinner and have been able to keep it all down. That was huge for me because I’ve lost so much weight they were starting to get worried.


The kids came by today and decorated our room with Valentine’s and things. It was good to finally be in a position to talk and visit with them instead of being comatose. Lindsie decorated the table and we ordered a cheese burger and fries, strawberries and a brownie from our low microbial diet menu. (See the two love birds below.)


I have learned as Moses expressed so beautifully, “I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed.” In this huge cosmos of Heavenly Father’s creations, we as human beings are truly insignificant little life forms. However, as Nephi, “I do not know the meaning of all things” -- but I know that we are Heavenly Father’s children and he loves us and is aware of our needs and that it is through small and simple means (even seemingly insignificant things) that great things are brought to pass. 

 Our Sweetheart Dinner on Valentine's Day at LDS Hospital
(Sorry I didn't have a box of chocolates for you honey)

4 comments:

  1. Hallefreakin'leuijiah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van and Wendy,
    I'm so glad you keep blogging. I have your blog linked with mine and read up on every update.
    Hey, if you would have gone out for a fancy dinner for Valentine's Day, it wouldn't be nearly as memorable as cheeseburgers in the hospital. My favorite anniversary was lucky #13 which I shared in the hospital with my sweet husband while healing from the delivery of our quadruplets. That one will never be forgotten!
    My prayers are always with you and your family. God bless.
    Michelle Osborn Keller

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea,food glorious food! so glad to hear you were able to enjoy it. hope the nausea stays away. The whole family says Hi! and Love ya! and miss ya! Congratulations on your award! We missed ya but were glad Lindsie and Josh were there. By the way, what was in that cute little bag that they gave ya? Looks like you had your own wonderful Valentines dinner. Love all the pictures! Our hearts,love,and prayers are with you. Love the Wikers

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOORAY for blessings--how nice that there are Elders specifically for the hospital...that is something that never occurred to me, but must be so very welcome (especially in the land of the redbloods =).

    One of the things I pray for (every time) is that you, Van, will have a few good minutes (to shore you up for all the bad ones) and that you and Wendy will both have some good, restful sleep. I think I'll start adding, "appetite!"
    Congrats on the food--I'll bet that "low-microbial burger" tasted REALLY good after nothing for 3 days.

    CONGRATS on the award: never have two people deserved it more. The world is blessed by your example.

    Thank you for your words of wisdom on integrity...I was searching my mind in the middle of the night for scripture stories, but forgot, somehow, that of Joseph. So very, very true.

    Love and hugs,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete