Friday, February 5, 2010

He's sporting a new look!

My motto is “If you look good you feel good”. And since Van hasn’t felt good for quite some time, I decided to give him a new look. Obviously the circumstances don’t permit the normal suit and tie apparel that Van is accustomed to. So I ran to Kohl’s and picked up two new plaid pajama pants with four nice matching polo shirts. And I was right! He looks good and he is starting to feel good! In fact for the first time in weeks Van has craved food. Up to this point, even the sound of food nauseated him not to mention the low microbial menu that the hospital offers. So today I went at Vans request, and picked up a Sweet Pork BBQ Burrito from Café Rio. Van thought he had died and gone to heaven.

Aside from a constant headache today, Van has done really well with no nausea. The strategy of administering the Chemo at night and sleeping through it seems to be working. The world would call it a turn of fortune or a coincidence, but we believe it is the result of a priesthood blessing and inspired Doctors.

The Doctors want to try increasing the amount of Chemo each night until they get to their target dosage, hoping that Van’s stomach will be able to tolerate it. So we are in a holding pattern the next couple of days making sure they don’t send us home prematurely.

3 comments:

  1. I would agree Cafe Rio is so much better then hospital food!!! I added you to my blog list, I hope you don't mind. When Nina told me you have cancer, my heart dropped! I have been asking if anyone has said anything about how you are doing and I guess I finally asked the right person, who told me about your blog, so I decided to follow it. You and your family are so amazing, I hope you know that you were a great inspiration in my life and I am so grateful that I was lucky enough to know you!! I'm confident that you will beat it, the Lord needs good upright men in the world right now, and your one of the best I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY for Womanly Intuition: you were inspired Wendy--I'm glad the new Hospital Wardrobe Options have made a difference--and I'm sure that Burrito WAS like manna from heaven. (I wonder if it will taste as good when I try it? =)

    HOORAY FOR SLEEP-FILLED NIGHTS--it's great to hear that you're able to sleep through some of the "yuck."

    I've been praying for both of you, your family, AND the doctors, so it's great to see that some inspiration has been manifest! I'm with Mykell (above): you both are amazing, and yes, Van, you are one of the best I know, too.

    Here's to at LEAST a few good moments during the day--and MORE than a few if at all possible,

    Love as always,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope you know we love all of you! Don't think we have counted you out of our blessings. your family is ont he top of the list every night with our family prayers. Your blog has been such an inspiration When we feel we are having a down day we are reminded of the Heder strength. We love you all. If you need anything please call me and let me know.

    Love, Pateresa (and Johnson family!)

    ReplyDelete