Van speaking: “I actually feel good today. This is the first time in about a week I haven’t been nauseated or down. I have had some really wonderful visitors. President Schofield came to see me and talked about fresh yogurt. President Lawrence came and spent a good about of time with me and took me for a walk. It was fun to talk to Pres. Lawrence about matters of the stake even though I’m not supposed to be worrying about those things. It was good to take care of some stake business. My entire Seminary faculty came up and brought me lots of fun things. All my siblings came this morning to donate blood and my brother Lane brought me this beautiful, plush, dark blue, BYU fleece blanket. Most all the nurses are Utes fans. I like to let them know that blue is the true color.”
Great news today! Van’s white blood count has gone done from 127,000 yesterday to 61,000 today. Everyone thinks it is a miracle but I know it is because of everyone’s fasting and prayers. So we know this new drug (Dasatinib) is working. He will stay on this new drug until his bone marrow transplant. It is a big possibility it will stop working before then. And if it does, he will have intravenous chemotherapy instead chemotherapy pills. Then we have to wait two months after the intravenous chemotherapy before he can get the bone marrow transplant. All of his brothers and sister came this morning to be tested to see if they are a match for donating marrow. They have a 25% chance of being a perfect match. Then our next option is going to the 12 million bone marrow registry. Then the next option would be to go to his children which are 1 in 1,000 match. If anyone goes off the street to be tested, their chance is 1 in 100,000 to be a match. We will find out in two weeks if his siblings are a match.
Once his white blood count becomes normal and he doesn’t have to be on any IVs. They will release him to come home while they prepare for the bone marrow match. That will be about one month. They want him to lead a normal life for that one month then he will return to the hospital for about 6 weeks recovering from his bone marrow transplant. After which he will have a one year recovery period.
Van started on a new medication “the medicine that must not be named.” It causes fabulous results. It’s controlling his nauseousness, increased his appetite, and helps him stay awake. The average he has been staying awake has been one minute at a time and now he has been awake for 7 hours straight. Wendy loves this drug!
Van’s theme scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-8
“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Van and Wendy, we got the news today and I called your home and spoke to Van's mother. I left a message that if you need us for ANYTHING at all, please let us know. Your family is in our prayers. Thank you for the blog to keep us all posted. Love you guys. Peggy and Marty Estrada
ReplyDeleteHey Van and Wendy, I just wanted to let you know that we are praying and fasting for you. The kids actually had a good experience with their fast. It was Sydney's first time, and the first time Samantha fasted the whole time. We love you, and wanted to remind you you have one other sibling, Ha Ha. Also. I obviously can't bring a meal, or babysit the kids, so I was wondering what restaurants they liked, and I could send some gift certificates for them. Give them something different to do. Let me know. We love you and are praying daily. Laurel
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that flowers can bloom even after having manure piled on. :) You are in our prayers and Verena's fasting for you.
ReplyDeleteLove,
The Oregon Pooles
Van and Wendy, I am so glad that the "big M" (The medicine that must not be named...) is working! I am glad that it is helping Van to stay awake and helping with his nausea.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Jason, Nicole and Family
Thank goodness for modern medicine! Yay for positive results! And Super Yay for being more awake! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Diana
True blue IS the right color -- but its about 100 miles north of Provo, in Cache Valley. I can't even imagine what you are going though, but the Lord will bless you in any and all ways he can. He sometimes blesses us with health, and sometimes he blesses others with the strength they need to be our support when we are ill. Many times I have wished for perfect health, yet have seen the miracles in others lives as they have helped me become well again. Good luck and our thoughts are with your family.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to hear that things are going good. It is amazing how strong the truth of the gospel is and how it can affect our life's in everyway. We are praying for you and your family and you are in our thoughts. Stay positive!
ReplyDeleteJenniLyn and Matt Wilcox
Van and Wendy, Wow, you are such awesome people (I know that word is normally reserved for Bp. Fivas) and great examples of faith through tribulation. I know the Lord will be with you and bless you. My family and I will be praying for you. Brendon Brown
ReplyDeleteI hope this link works for others- it is a awesome site that I have access to at work that will let everyone educate themselves a little more and find answers so we don't have to overload you guys!
ReplyDeletehttp://uptodate.medcity.net/online/content/topic.do?topicKey=blooddis/4544
Try and order some avocado and make neutropenic guac!
Hi, President! Dawn just called us to tell us the news. We went online to read your blog and Ray called to speak to Sister Anderson at the Seminary. Your family has been so wonderful, an example of unity and love to all of us who know you. I know that your faith, combined with all of ours who love you will make this bearable for you. We are willing to do anything at all that might make this easier for you. Ray is a universal blood donor because of his type O-Negative blood, so if you could use that, or even if we need to donate bone marrow...We will contact Wendy on her cell. We love you both.
ReplyDeleteHi Van and Wendy-
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting about your experiences. Yay for miracles!
We will keep you and your cute family in our prayers.
Debbie, Darrell, Tyler Kirby (and twins on the way in June!)
Wonderful. We fasted (Shauni and I and Ethan) and have been praying that good things will happen. I am so glad that things are looking up. I have had a cold or would have been there by now. I have something for Van from the Men's Hosiery Club. We love you and can't wait to come visit when my mucus level get's normalized.
ReplyDeleteKirk and Shauni Burbidge (and kids)
Van and Wendy,
ReplyDeleteWendy Elliot told us the other day about Van's condition and I am so sorry. It sounds like prayers are being answered! We are praying and hoping for continuing progress!!
Robin and Austin Peterson (Previous caretakers of Tanika)
WOO-HOO FOR THE MEDICINE THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED! Congrats to you both on being awake long enough to do more than just make eye contact! =)
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear about all of the improvements in just the last week. I wonder how many of us were fasting on Sunday for you and your fam, Van?
Would cousins have a better match chance than 1 in 1000? I'm thinking that with all of your siblings, there'll be one for sure--if not, I'll be there for testing, too.
LOVE AND HUGS,
Libby