Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I’m a new Woman!

I seriously am a new woman! My heart is fixed! The Ablation surgery lasted only two hours and it went absolutely perfect. My heart is calm now and I can walk and talk again. It truly is a miracle! At the beginning of a surgery they try to make the heart race so they can map out your heart. In my case, Dr. Day said it wasn’t difficult to map my heart because mine was already constantly going into the racing mode. He said, “I think you have been in small continuous racing mode for quite some time.” So now I know why I have felt so miserable for the last few weeks. I still can’t believe I went to the Cardiologist on Monday at 4:00 and by today, Wednesday at 2:00 I’m fixed and back home. My only restrictions are no driving for 24 hours, no lifting for 2 weeks, no exercise for a week, and walk every two hours. I like those kinds of restrictions. I think I got right in because I told them my husband has Leukemia and so they gave me anything I wanted.

I’m not a pretty sight, but I’m doing great. I say that because the antiseptic they used was blue, so I have blue dye all over my legs and neck with white bandages. When I told Van about it today he reminded me of the pens he got for his birthday that were in the shape of a syringe that said, “BYU Cougars bleed blue”. He said, “Now we both bleed blue, Honey.” Tomorrow, I can wash it off and take off the bandages just in time for our Bone Marrow Consultation. It’s funny because I have been trying to get to this appointment for three weeks now, but every time I went into the hospital for our consultation, I ended up in the ER and each time they cancelled Van’s appointment. Tomorrow my Mom will drive me to the hospital where we will meet my Dad, who is staying with Van. Dad will tape record the consultation while we will meet with the head doctor.

If you have been reading the blog then you know that two nights ago Van went back to the hospital and was very sick. The Doctors have a plan now. They think his anti-fungal and Chemo are conflicting and the Chemo is building up in his system. They took him off his Chemo for two days, giving him anti-nausea medicine every 8 hours by I.V. and giving him lots of fluids. They are going to teach me how to give I.V. fluids and medicine in his I.V. every 8 hours and I know there is more details, but I forgot. When he told me that, I knew I should have gone to school to be a nurse. With four kids with a rare disease, my problem, and now my husband’s, I should be paid for this, don’t you think? Anyway, I know he’ll be in the hospital for at least one more day, but probably more until they get things figured out. He is having a good day today because he feels like eating and he’s living it up (but it’s only hospital food).

My cousin wrote, “If prayers offered on earth could be seen from the heavens, I think there'd be a solid beam of light from here to there as visible evidence of the many people who love and care about both of you.” I truly feel like there has been a solid beam coming straight to our house. Thanks to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your getting your "fix"--I'm so happy that everything worked out with the timing! And you're right: you SHOULD have been a nurse--so much for hindsight, huh? =)

    It's good to hear Van's doctors are getting things sorted out for him, too--give him my love--and you know you've already got some, too.

    The light is still beaming!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete