Monday, January 11, 2010

Looking Death in the Face

Van speaking: I can’t say this was a good day; in fact, it was probably the most morbid day of my life. My stomach was upset, my heart was beating fast and I was tired. And then to add insult to injury Wendy made me write my own obituary, plan my funeral, and took me out for two hours looking at grave plots, headstones, and caskets. I picked out a really cool Colorado Blue Casket. I kind of like our headstone too. Wendy has this idea that she needs to get all this stuff taken care of so she doesn’t have to worry about it anymore. I guess that’s ok.

Wendy speaking: The Doctor told me to do it. I know some people might have a hard time with this but this is the best thing for me. We are getting all of this done, we will put it in a binder, file it away, and then have great hope for the future that we won’t have to get it out again. If the Lord sees fit to take Van during this next year, we will be prepared and that is a good feeling. I would encourage any of you to take a moment and talk to your spouse about their funeral arrangements. I know I was surprised by a few things.

2 comments:

  1. What do you even say to that? All I can say is thank you for enjoying, to its fullest, God's great plan of happiness. You are an example to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's just about all I can say is "Wow."
    --from the book LILLY'S PURPLE PURSE

    Okay guys: it's official: there's NOTHING you two can't do together!

    VAN: it's okay to be real and honest--even Nephi let us (and all those who will ever read the Book of Mormon, which is a lot, to say the least [play on words intended] =) know when he was feeling low. Doing so simply means you're human, and accessible to the rest of us struggling humans! You were just thinking out loud--and we appreciate hearing from you.

    WENDY: I like your attitude and style--I would be the same way. (I must admit I've already told a friend of mine from BYU that I expect her at my side IMMEDIATELY if anything sudden happens to Dave, because she'll understand: she lost her husband in a car accident three days before the semester started in 1993.) Sometimes the best way to do ANY unenjoyable thing is to just get it over with, and then go on to the better stuff!

    Thank you BOTH for letting us share the journey with you, if only through the blog: it's an honor.

    Love and hugs--you are loved more than you know (although it sounds like you're getting a good idea =)

    Your Cuz

    ReplyDelete