Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 19

I received another phone call at 6:00 this morning telling me that my husband was asking for me to go with him on his walk. It takes 3-4 people to go on a walk: a respiratory therapist that pumps a bag that breathes for him, a nurse for his machine with his I.V.’s, and two people to hold on to him as his walks. After our walk, we watched the sunrise together. It was very romantic; at least I kept telling him that.


As of today, he has gained 32 pounds of fluid. It is taking a toll on his kidneys and heart. The kidney Doctor is doing an aggressive lasix drip to help him start to loose this fluid. He has another virus that has surfaced and we are hoping the new experimental drug will work for it also.

But for some good news--we are on Day 19 since the stem cell transplant and our neutrophils are 100! The Doctor’s say we can’t get excited until we have improved each day for three days. But I couldn’t help myself by telling everyone today. This is what we have been waiting for! We could be engraphting within days.


Also, the Pulmonologist said if Van can continue to breath on his own without the ventilator for one more day, he might get the E.T. tube out. It will be so good to hear him talk again. He writes a lot on a clip board right now to get his point across. We can see small miracles happening today. Keep praying, I know you will!

11 comments:

  1. Awe, the tender mercies of the Lord . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van and Wendy,
    Sara and I still check the blog daily and pray for you both continually. We know that the Lord is mindful of you and your family. We pray that He'll shower down blessings and miracles upon you all. Love,

    Hank and Sara Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are. :-)

    -Corey and Amy Price

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen miracles many times. God is with you and working around you always. Hang in there.

    Beth Santos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo!!! Great news! The prayers of many are being answered. Marty and Peggy Estrada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still praying for you both daily...at this point, I can hardly imagine the number of "prayer beams" from homes and hearts being sent up from the many, many people who love you both. The best I can do is to think that midnight must look like noon from Father's point of view!

    I'm also so sorry that you're both having to endure so much. I'm sure you'd BOTH say that this is just part of life, The Plan, and so on--suffice it to say that this morning, as I said my prayers and pondered asking for "whatever" it would take to get me past/through the challenge with which I'm dealing, I just couldn't say it...I tried a few times, and finally gave up, at least for today. Your strength and faith is truly beyond my understanding...you are both amazing examples and I care so much about you that I do cry every time I read updates.

    I hope you feel the uplifting arms of the Holy Ghost comforting you--I know He can and will, and you certainly both need the bearing up. Prayers help with that, too, I believe, so here's hoping you feel that strength.

    Love and hugs as always,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love your family and are praying for you!

    Toby and Carina Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  8. A co-worker of mine gave me a 'necklace' gift last Christmas. It says: What cancer cannot do . . . Cancer cannot invade the soul, it cannot suppress memories, it cannot kill friendship, cancer cannot destroy peace, it cannot conquer the spirit, cancer cannot shatter hope, it cannot criple love, it cannot corrode faith, cancer cannot steal eternal life, and it cannot silence courage.

    My prayers are with you President Heder. I love you.

    Beth Santos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Van and Wendy,

    I hope you feel the prayers and love we have for you. Man, this is rough. You are being refined and shaped and molded. Thanks for being such great examples of faith and strength.

    Love,

    The Passey Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh- Hallefreakinleujiah! Doing cartwheels (in my head, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are keeping you in our prayers, always!!! This last post shows promise. What a strong family you have. Wow, Van is a fighter. We love that you were able to see a sunrise together. Such hope in a sunrise and sunset. We love that you two are such an inspiration to everyone. We love you so much and hope we keep hearing things going on the up hill.

    Love the Johnson Family!

    ReplyDelete