Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Singing is good for the soul

Van’s brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and parents came to the hospital Sunday evening to sing to him. They sang hymns and songs the family sang when they were little. They sing four part harmony and Van sings bass. We had 18 of us all together in his ICU room. I had to get special permission but they said, anything that will help and inspire the patient is great.

We also received some wonderful visitors that gave him spiritual thoughts and encouraged him to fight. Van’s brother sat with him that night and he said by the next day that he saw DETERMINATION in his eyes.



He is on a ventilator (which is a tube down his throat) and it breathes for him. They have been tapering him off each day and hope to take it out tomorrow. That would be wonderful to have him talk again. Today I brought him a paper that says Pain – 1, Nausea – 2, Breathing – 3, Suction – 4, Write – 5, Call Wendy – 6, Sleep – 7, Hot/Cold – 8, Catheter – 9, Kiss/Hug – 10. Now all he has to do is hold up that many fingers and I know what he wants.

Today they took out his central line (that had three ports) because it was infected with staph infection. They put in a picc line in each arm with two ports a piece. He also has a peripheral line so he has five lines going into him. His body is eating up the platelets like they are candy so now he has one line for continuous platelets. They are trying to match platelets to his blood type so that maybe he might not need as many.

The conference talk from Elder Dallin H. Oaks called “Healing the Sick” talked about--healing the sick by medical science, by prayers of faith, and by priesthood blessings. We have definitely used all the medical science available (even experimental drugs), every one of us are praying in faith and we have received many priesthood blessings. So now it is up to the Lord to do the rest.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Van and Wendy.

    our love and prayers are with you and your family. we are all hoping for the best. we know the lord will take care of his own, and we all know that you all have faith that he will do what is needed. the Lord will take you in his arms and comfort you all. best wishes.

    love the means family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Van and family,

    I have been following your blog faithfully and am amazed at how spiritually fed I feel every time I read about your experiences. I went to school with Van and think very highly of him. You guys are so inspiring and very uplifting. We have been going through our own trials and when I get on your blog you have such great scriptures and thoughts on faith that are just amazing. You have helped me and my husband through some really dark times without even knowing it. Thanks you so much and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. God bless you! Love, Todd and Shannon (Hair) Caldwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that made me feel better just reading about how they sang to him. You are all surely loved and we all know the Lord will do his part, He is bound. Our faith and prayers continue to be with you! Love ya Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I am so happy that the singing went so well and that Van is, hopefully, soon getting off that silly breathing apparatis!! Wendy, great thinking on the number system. You are amazing to even think of this. I should have had you coaching me in my times of dier stress. I'm also so happy they took out that central line and got another way to give him all his meds. Hopefully that will get rid of the infection once and for all. Keep fighting Van. You are amazing. This will be one of the greatest victories of your life!! You have a crowd in the stands cheering you on. Keep hanging in there.

    Continuous prayers and love,
    Karyn and the kids-they are praying too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian asked me to post this for him and send his best wishes from a fellow Leukemia patient/survivor. It can be beat. I'm proof of that he wants you to know! His prayers and the prayers of the Elders of the Texas Houston South Mission are with you and your family.

    Elder Brian Bell & his Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Brother heder

    Hope you get well soon and I know you have the strength to fight this. you have one of the strongest hearts that I know in the church and and I know I'll see you again soon. Go "Y"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are faithful followers of your blog. We are amazed every day by your faith and optimism. We always want to comment, but are not sure what to say. It always builds us and makes us more grateful. Kirk is moving all of his stuff to Stansbury today and that really made me think of you. We pray for you daily and think of you more often than that. Thank you for your example and faithfulness. Hang in there! We love you!

    Kirk and Shauni Burbidge

    ReplyDelete