Picture: Our last photo together on 12/30/2009
Yesterday, I woke up to exercise and read my scriptures and the first scripture I read was Alma 29:1 “O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!” I knew this scripture was speaking of Van.
Today at 2:38 pm, Van passed away. They took a bone marrow biopsy yesterday and the results showed he had only 1% of the cells needed to engraft. The doctors found blood clots blocking the vessels to the liver. He was having kidney failure, heart failure, and his lungs were continually bleeding. He had many bacterial and viral infections and received continuous platelets and red blood transfusions. In the last few days he was put on a pain pump. He has been on life support for the last week and a half except a day and a half when he saw and talked with our children. He was still able to communicate by nodding his head and squeezing our hands until the very last moment.
The Doctor told Van and me that he wouldn’t ever get better and asked Van if he had any questions for him. He used his finger to write one letter at a time, “how long from now?” He wanted to know how much longer before he passed on. The Doctor said he has never in his life seen anyone communicate on a ventilator in the patient’s last hours. Van had told me for the last few days that he was ready to go.
We called our families and they all came and we sang his two favorite hymns: “Where Can I Turn for Peace” and “More Holiness Give Me.” Then just the immediate family came in the room with our Bishop and talked, hugged, and kissed him. They sang, “I’m So Glad When Daddy Comes Home,” a Father’s Day tradition. He squeezed each child’s hand to tell them that he loved them. We all knelt down on the floor around his bed and put one hand on Van’s body and Bishop said an amazing prayer that gave us all peace. Everyone left but me. I held Van’s hand and tickled his arm (his favorite) while the nurses took out his breathing tube. He passed away within 10 minutes at 2:38 pm. It was very peaceful. I had the hymns playing in the background.
As per Van's request, a closed casket viewing for friends and family will be held Friday, June 11th from 6-8:00 pm at Tate Mortuary (110 South Main Street in Tooele) and from 11-12:45 in the Relief Society room at the Tooele East Stake Center - 751 North 520 East (7th Street) in Tooele, Saturday, June 12th. The family prayer will be at 12:45 and funeral services will begin at 1:00 pm The interment will be at the Tooele City Cemetery.
I have to tell you about one missionary experience. Today we wrapped the two copies of the Book of Mormon that he had purchased in Russian and Spanish for his favorite nurse and favorite house keeper at the hospital. I put his testimony in it and we delivered it to them. It was an emotional day. I was able to see the house keeper and she hugged me and cried with me and thanked me for that wonderful book. Van is the most AMAZING missionary I have ever met. He was doing missionary work up to the hour of his death and will continue the second he gets to the other side.
I love him so much and will miss him. I know the Lord is in charge and whatever happens is right. This is right. I love that everyone shared in our experience together. It was almost six month of ups and downs but I hope we are all better for the journey. I know I am. Thank you for your love and support. We will see you at the funeral or our address is 710 Fox Run Dr., Tooele, UT 84074.
Van's wish was that I make this blog into a hard back book as a journal for his children. This will be my last blog update.
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI saw a rainbow today here in Tooele. Couldn't help thinking of Van and that song, "I'll Build You a Rainbow." We have lost a spiritual giant. He has touched so many lives including mine. Thank you for letting me share in this experience with you. I know my life will never be the same.
Dear, Sweet, Sister Heder, My families thoughts and prayers are with you and
ReplyDeleteYour family. Driving home from work tonight the sunshine was breaking through the puffy white clouds and I was insured God is in charge and Van is doing great. You have been an amazing family, thank all of you for being such an inspiration.
Sister Heder and the Heder Family--we are so very sorry for your loss. Love & blessings to you,
ReplyDeletePaul & Jennifer Lords & Family
We are so so sorry for your loss. he will be missed by all. Van he is a great man. and the Lord must need him at this time. sending our love to you and the family.
ReplyDeletethe means family
Sister Heder and family,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the past 6 months of your lives with us. I know there have been many ups and downs, but because you have shared with us, we are all better people because we have been a part of your journey. We have been able to pray, fast and think about something bigger than ourselves. President Heder was a prime example of thinking of others, especially when he was going through Chemo. I will never forget coming to visit and when the nurse went into the room to see if I could visit, the first thing out of his mouth was "how is Brendon doing?" Brendon is doing awesome and I can only say some of it is because of Brother Heder. Brother Heder put up with a strong willed 18 y/o who thought he knew it all, and Brother Heder still loved my son. Thank you. I will be ever grateful for his example of love and kindness.
My prayers are with you and your family at this time and many, many angels are surrounding you and your family at this time. May you find the peace you desire.
My love and prayers
Sister Kim Hopkins
Heder family,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great missionary and wonderful man Van is! He is such a great example of what we hope we can someday be. Thank you for sharing this intimate part of your life with us. You are loved by so many. May you feel peace.
The Passey family
Sister Heder and Family,
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts and prayers go out to you. Sometimes it's hard for us imperfect mortals to understand the greater designs the Lord has in store but you have such a strong spiritual foundation, I have no doubt Heavenly Father will bless you for that. I'm certain Van is already busy on the other side.
Love and prayers,
Brandon and Charlene Welch
P.S. "Where Can I turn For Peace" is one of my favorite hymns, too. It has a special place in my heart from the strength it gave me as a missionary in the field.
I love you!
ReplyDeleteVan:
ReplyDeleteYou will be missed. But I know that you are needed for further work. The "rest of the Lord" awaits those who come unto him. Thanks for teaching me love and patience.
Wendy:
You are loved, and you attitude and testimony have been a constant strength to me and my little family. Thank you for showing us how to be better people. Hang in there.
Love, Kirk and Shauni Burbidge and Kids.
Brother Heder was the best Seminary teacher I had. I have learned so much from him and I know that it's very important that I as a youth remain faithful and true to the Church. I will never forget his support and courage he had for all of his students. You have an amazing family.
ReplyDeleteHi Wendy and Family,
ReplyDeleteWe just read your post and our prayers are with all of you. We will miss Van very much but we know there must be something very special that the Lord needs him to do. We will always remember the fun times we spent together as families and how Van was always such a positive and spiritual example to all of us. We Love you all and look forward to seeing you Saturday.
Love,
Leonard, Marilee and Family
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this, but I take heart in your amazingly strong and courageous words that have written here. You and Van have always deeply touched my heart. Every moment you had together was a gift from God. Now the Lord needs him. This reminds me of a quote by Joseph Smith that I once read thinking of you guys.
"When men are prepared, they are better off to go hence. . . . The spirits of the just are exalted to a greater and more glorious work; hence they are blessed in their departure to the world of spirits. Enveloped in flaming fire, they are not far from us, and know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith."
I know how much he loves you and is thinking of you as is our heavenly father! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
You are a great family and are good friends.
ReplyDeleteZeram Jones
I miss him already.
Dear Sister Heder and all the family,
ReplyDeleteOur sincerest condolences. It's been a sad day for some and happy for others. You are all amazing examples to us all and we love you dearly. We will miss Pres Heder alot. He was truly a wonderful man that has touched so many. Tonight I also saw the rainbow and I thought of Pres. Heder thinking of all the wonderful miracles Heavenly Father has given us, and that he was one of them. Our prayers are with you for peace and comfort in the days to come.
All our love,
Roger and Denise Ekblad
Dear Heder Family -
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing and serving all of us in blog land the past 6 months. What an incredible, tender journey you have so willingly shared. Our earthly hearts are breaking... we pray for you all.... we pray that you will be given the strength that you need, when you need it and as you need it through the days, months and years ahead... May you feel peace, comfort and love. Our eternal hearts are rejoicing for those on the other side that are anxiously awaiting Van and his services there....what a joyous reunion it must be. How grateful we all are for the eternal plan and the YOUR family IS an eternal family! That is by far a comforting blessing! Thank you so much for all you have shared... now, let US (everyone around you) be there for you... let us SERVE you .... Bless you all....FOREVER!
You will be in our prayers for a long time to come... Thank you for sharing... bless you for sharing.... Bless you all! With Love,
Todd & Shontell Olson
Dear Heders-
ReplyDeleteThere really are no words to express my feelings for you and your family Wendy. As I sat in YW presidency meeting and heard the news my heart sank. We love you and are so deeply sorry for your loss.
As we started YW last night and the news spread, Van had touched so many Youth. There were tears, and sadness. We watched Esther tonight and I thought about Van and his strength, courage and faith. Wendy you also have the same attributes. We love you!!! Your Megan is a light in our home. She makes me laugh, smile and her spirit is something special. Wendy, thank you for sharing her with "us"! We adore her. If you need anything please call us. I will be leaving on Fri-Sun and will not be able to be at the funeral. (it is crushing me) I will stop by tomorrow if you are going to be home. Let me know.
Love ya!
Pateresa Johnson (Johnson family)
Oh Wendy and Kellie My heart aches for you. Thank you so much for texting me and letting me know about your husband and father. Kellie I just want you to know you are welcome here anytime and I look forward to sewing days with you so we can talk. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Lori and family
ReplyDeleteWendy,
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible woman you are. The faith you and Van have shown these last 6 months has been inspirational. We know the day that John wrote of in Revelation 21:4 will come for you both. "And God shall wipe away all the tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain."
With love,
Hank and Sara Smith
Wendy and family,
ReplyDeleteAs I cried about the news of Pres. Heder's passing, it began to rain. I saw the sun break through the clouds, and the biggest rain drops ever still fell gently on my face. It felt like those drops had to be so big to do the most cleansing possible of my sorrow. I smiled as I saw the sun and thought of his reunion with our brother, Jesus, and our Father in Heaven. How Heaven must have known I needed that confirmation that all is well.
I love your family and I'm blessed to have known you all. I'm so ever greatful I was able to work by Pres. Heder's side as I helped plant the fruit trees this last spring. I so wanted those to be his inspiration to come home and watch them grow. But I know he'll watch his trees grow, just as he'll watch you all grow and reach new heights.
I love you dearly, and will forever be greatful for life's lessons I've learned from you.
Love,
April Resendez
Dear Wendy and Family,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I knew Van in Highschool, (I'm ages with Bill and Leeann). A friend notified me of this blog, and I have been following it for the past six months.
I have been amazed at the strength and faith that you have shown during this entire process. I have hoped and prayed for better...or different news. Sunday I read your blog and my heart was hanging on with hope.
It's late tonight, and I was on my way to bed, however, I've had Van on my mind all day and had the nagging feeling to check the blog. Words only confirmed what my heart and spirit already knew, but my head wasn't quite ready to accept. My heart goes out to you all.
It has been good to see and hear that Van only continued in the path that he had set out to live so very long ago when I knew him.
I know that your faith and testimony and strength have touched many, because me, a random person from the past, has been lifted, strenghtened and blessed. Thank you for being willing to share this tender time with all of us who have tapped into your blog.
May you find continued strength and peace and know that many of us you may never meet, are praying for you.
Love,
Gina (Zimmerman) Knighton
Dear Wendy and family,
ReplyDeleteWords can not express the ache I have in my heart at this moment. I just read your last blog update and I simply don't know what to say. I know that there are a lot of things that etiquette tells us to say...but somehow they just don't fit here.
Wendy, I only met Van a handful of times and that was a very long time ago. But I remember him. I could never forget him. He had a ... I don't know ... an aura (for lack of a better word) about him that made me feel special to be near him. He was always kind and humorous and - I keep wanting to say amazing, so I guess I just will - amazing. Still to this day I remember sitting in the hot tub with you and Van up at Heise Hot Springs (not sure if I spelled that right). Do you remember that? I will never forget.
Wendy, since the day I met you at church during the summer before 9th grade, I have always known how special you are. Your faith, perseverance, and pure jolliness has been an inspiration for me. I have, from the beginning, and will always, treasure your friendship. I know that I am very far away, but if there is ever *anything* that I can do for you or your family, please, please don't hesitate to contact me.
With all my heart,
Angie Smith-Yasuda
Wendy and family, you all are an amazing family! You have let the world into your private lives for the last six months and I know that everyone who has followed this blog has grown in ways you will never know. We love you guys. We will be out of town Friday and Saturday and are saddened that we will not be able to attend the services. Please know that our hearts are there with you. Marty and Peggy Estrada
ReplyDeleteDear Wendy,
ReplyDeleteWe were helping two of our full-time Elders teach a wonderful family last night and got home so late I didn't check your blog until this morning. I could hardly believe my eyes when I read that Van was gone. His faith and yours, his testimony and yours, were and are so strong that I thought surely - as Van expressed earlier in this trial - there were things he still had to do on this earth and Heavenly Father would make it possible for him to stay here and do them. I am so sorry for all he and you have suffered in this last six months, but as many others have said before me, your experience - shared so freely and lovingly with all of us - has touched, lifted, taught, strengthened and inspired every single person who has read the blog.
We have a friend in our ward in California who lost her husband to stomach cancer when she was only 31 and he was only 34. Their five children ranged in age from 2 to 12, the oldest girl being the same age as our youngest son. I remember Shannon telling us that there were many times when she felt David's presence and counsel in her life when she needed them, and also very strong and direct help and counsel from the Holy Ghost when she needed it (even to the point of explaining to her how to complete a house maintenance task that she couldn't figure out!)
I know you will have that kind of help and comfort, but I also know your heart must feel broken right now. Please know that we send our love and prayers - and will continue to do so - as will all the hundreds of people who know and love both you and Van. You really are AMAZING people and everyone who knows you is a better person because of that experience.
Much love,
(Aunt) Alene and (Uncle) Farron
aka: Elder y Hermana Harrison in Ecuador
My heart sank today. I am so sorry for your loss. Van is such a great friend. He will be missed (Serving church callings together, playing tennis, his constant smile and his friendship), for a time but my soul is filled with the plan of salvation. My family's prayers go out to you.
ReplyDelete-Eric Wagner
Sister Heder :]
ReplyDeleteI love you so much. When I think about who has influenced me the most in my life President Heder is probably #3. He taught me in Seminary my Sophomore year and I don't remember a lot of what he taught but I do remember sitting in his class. I remember always being able to feel the spirit, him being so excited when I did show up to class or if I brought my boyfriend of the week. haha! He was so excited that I had made the effort to come. At that time I was really trying to define myself and see if the "gospel" thing was really for me. I know that President Heder knew that this time was so critical. He would always focus on the one, the individual. He always would ask me about school, Sha-Ronns and somehow always find a way to bear his testimony. He really took me under his wing and became my friend. How many days we talked about Wrestling and his beloved VW bug!
Another memory I had was on Trek when he had gotten into a scooter accident just previous and hurt his foot. I remember my dad telling him to not walk at all but the last day he did the last mile with you. I was thinking "What are you doing?!" But thinking about it now Pres. Heder lived both the letter and the spirit of the law. He knew that Trek was a tender experience and wanted to have just a taste with you. I can still see you two holding hands :) He was willing to combat the physical pain to have such a tender spiritual experience!
The last memory I have is when Reed and I were just starting to date, I had heard he had been diagnosed and I felt this sense of urgency for the two to meet. I remember Pres. Heder being so excited that we had come, taking the time to get to know Reed and to bear testimony. He told us that he knew that he would over come this illness and the Lord still had work for him to do in this life. He bore testimony about Abraham and the covenants he had made with the Lord, stating he had made covenants too and there were many blessings to yet be fulfilled in his Patriarchal Blessing in this life. I really feel that Heavenly Father knew what would happen and probably needed him on the other side! He probably thought, "Wow! This guy is amazing! He did as well as expected and beyond! We have some stubborn people over on this side and he would be a GREAT home teacher!"
I know that the Lord is with you at this time. I love you and Pres. Heder so much. I remember it being cold and rainy on Trek and Pres. Heder just holding you and I thought, "One day I will be like the Heders." I so hoped that President Heder would make it to my sealing and I know that he will be there in Spirit. I hope that you can be there too!
Obedience is cool and you are awesome, as President Heder would say. You two have touched so many lives and my future children. He helped me stay active in the church and I have now served a mission. He helped me make correct decisions that will forever affect me and my children. Thank you for everything! I love you dearly and always think of your smile, optimism and laugh. You are one of the greatest people I have ever met.
Much love,
Kiersten Halladay
I feel so honored to have been able to spend so much time with my brother over the past 6 months. Comforting him and caring for him. He was by far the best patient I have ever had. Never a complaint or negative word. What an amazing man. He truly endured so much. I am so glad that he is in a wonderful place now and free from nausea and pain.
ReplyDeleteI know that he is already busy teaching the gospel on the other side. I will always cherish his lessons that he taught me over the last 6 mo. Our favorite was "hold tight, nuckles white". Never let go of the iron rod.
He is truly the most christlike person I know. As I told him goodbye yesterday I said "I am so excited for you! You are going to an amazing place where you will be able to do what you love more than anything in the world and that is to be a missionary." He nodded his head.
I am so grateful for the gospel and the eternal plan. I hope I live worthy enough to be with my brother again.
And Wendy we have spent so much time talking about everything so I know you will be just fine.
I luv you!!
Lisa
It is rainy and cloud-covered here in Grantsville. But as I looked out my kitchen window towards Tooele, I saw a beautiful ray of sunshine peeking through the clouds and shining down on a specific spot in the Tooele area. I imagine the ray was shining on your home as a sign that Heavenly Father is aware of you and loves you! Jaret told me that Bro. Heder was the best seminary teacher he ever had. We are so thankful for him teaching the gospel to Jaret and strengthening Jaret's testimony, preparing him to go out into the world as first a college student, and hopefully in a year, a missionary. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Our family bond has been strengthened by your sharing of this experience, and each of us have gained a greater understanding of our Heavenly Father's beautiful plan of happiness. May the Lord bless and comfort all of you during this time of need.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jesse and Teresa Wilson
Jaret, Bryant, and Kaysen
Dear Wendy and Family,
ReplyDeleteOur hearts and prayers go out to you. As we have read and followed your blog over the past few months an amazing thing has happened. We have seen your family grow and your understanding of your purpose on this earth solidify. Your perfect faith in our Father in Heaven has helped our family in ways you can't realize. Thank you for your example of grace and selflessness.
You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers always.
Love,
Bryce and Dani Byers
Hi there, I have met Van's sister Lisa and we have become friends. She has told me what situation your Family has been through this past 6 months, I have been reading your blog and WOW- Van sure was amazing and you are as well... What a spiritual event it is to be with a person when they pass onto Heaven, our Family experienced it last July 13th with my little brother, it was the hardest yet most rewarding feeling and to know they are out of pain and fought the fight.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to you as you continue on raising your kids- I cannot imagine but with the gospel and the love of Family it's what will guide you. What an awesome missionary what a daily example you and your husband set for the times you were in the hospital and look at the lives you touched. Van was a special reason for all of us- look at the communication he had given on the vent- wow, he even awed the Doctors. I pray at this time for your Family to have comfort but also to have strength as you continue on. Your blog has been wonderful, are you sure you want to stop posting? You have such a way of touching SO many lives and I Thank You.
Dear Wendy and Family: we love you and will continue to add our prayers to the many offered in your behalf. Our hearts mourn with yours but also rejoice in the assurance of God's Eternal Plan which is in place for us all. God Bless you with all that you will need~ until you meet again with your eternal sweetheart.
ReplyDeleteAll our love and friendship,
Rick, Linda Hartley and Family
This breaks my heart but I'm definitely sure that he is in a better place now. Heavenly Father needs him in heaven.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Beth Santos
Dear Heder family,
ReplyDeleteYou probably don't know me, but I had Brother Heder as a seminary teacher during my senior year. He was very loved by all who attended his classes, and I was no exception.
I am incredibly impressed with the way your family has handled this challenge; with monumental strength and faith. I think the Lord is very pleased with your family, and I think Brother Heder would be tickled pink at how supportive his family is about his new mission.
Families are forever,
Tyler Gowans
Wendy and all the amazing Heder family: It is with the most heart felt sympathy that I thank you for the gift of Van in my life. As my tears reflect the memories of so many years ago while a student at Jordan High, I recall the abounding love and friendship shared with me as Van and his family offered me their time and support. Van's standard was always to do our best and to do things the right way, the best way, the Lords way. I am forever grateful for his friendship those many years ago as he accepted my imperfections each day and said not a word when my actions were outside of appropriateness. He knew I was a good person fighting bad habits and family challenges that only God might understand. That kind of unconditional love at such a young age is rare, I think. As I came to know him as my dear friend walking together to school each day, I began to realize how different we were, and yet, he did not care a bit! He loved me for the goodness he believed I could be and for the person he saw me striving to be. Mostly because of his influence, I decided to take seminary and it became one of my life's most cherished experiences. Many of the stories and scriptures I share and use today came from those wonderful days in my seminary classes. Thank you Wendy, for loving him so. He was probably the most loving man I have ever known. Thank you Mom and Dad Heder, Lane, Quin and Bill for your outstanding example as young men and for your gift of love to me all those years ago. My life is far better today because of each of you at such a critical time. Your love and Van's love still lights my heart today... as brightly as it did 30 years ago. Van has always been near to me, and not so long from now we will all stand together with him again.
ReplyDeleteBefore we had heard the unfortunate news last night, we had said our family prayers. Emily, who is Olivia's age said, "Please make President Heder better from his Leukemia." Almost as instantly as she said this, I had the thought at how much "better" we all are from President Heder's Leukemia. Shortly after that, we heard of his passing and I realized how applicable my thoughts had been. There have been countless posts on the blog through the last few months that have literally inspired me, strengthened me, and reminded me how blessed everyone is because we have the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Through the course of his battle with Leukemia, I think that everyone was made "better", and I will be forever grateful that you have shared this experience with us, and made me a better person. Thank you! Our prayers continue to be with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteAll of our love,
Dave and Katrina Knight and Family
Dear Heder Family,
ReplyDeleteWe were so saddened yesterday evening to hear of Pres Heder's passing. His optimism and faith to the very end have been an inspiration to us. I still see him in my mind, during the midst of his treatment, out in the yard trimming his rose bush. The Lord has now received him back. What peace that must bring to know he returned after living a wonderful life of service and commitment to the Lord and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If you ever need anything we are here for you just through the block.
David & Sherrie Gibby
Wendy, I didn't see this until this morning. I just wanted to send our condolences to you and your family and our thanks to you and Van for the perfect example of faith and trust in the Lord in all things. By sharing this experience with us you have strengthened those of us who are weak. We are proud of both of you, may the Lord's richest blessings be with you always.
ReplyDeletelove, David and Glenda.
My heart is broken. I found out last night while serving my Young Women. I loved Brother Heder so much, he always had a smile on his face. I had the opportunity to talk with him during a temple recommend renewal. I also had the great privileged of having him a a seminary teacher, what an experience he truly is a servant of the Lord. I also had the experience of talking with him in the parking lot at Wal-Mart just before he went into the Hospital for his transplant. I will truly miss him, but am grateful he is not suffering, and that he can continue being a great missionary. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. My love goes out to you as well. May God bless you all!
ReplyDeleteKelli Unrein
Wendy, I've only met you once when we were looking at buying the house next to you, but Brother Heder was my seminary and institute teacher. He was an absolutely incredible man whom I admired so much. I am so sorry for your loss. May the Lord be with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteTiffany Davies
Oh, my friend, my cousin, my sister...
ReplyDeleteHow sad I am for you and your family's and the world's loss: he IS truly an amazing giant of a man, possibly the best I have ever known in my life. The heavens are surely thrilled to have him, and it is good he is no longer in pain.
I wish there was something I could do for you, but I know that your sisters and in-laws will know better than I what you need. I can pray, so that's what I'll do while I try to think of something else....
Thank you for all you have done throughout your life, and all Van did with your support; for the examples of love and faith and endurance; for your kindness and patience. I love you both more than I can say.
As always, my prayers are with you,
Libby
I don't know you well, but thank you so much for sharing this journey. I have been following your blog since I first heard the news. I can tell you that I am certainly better for doing so. Your faith and strength have blessed my life in ways I would have never expected. I feel like I've gotten to know both of you during this time and it has been a privilege. I have been very emotional since Matt came home from visiting with you and Van on Tuesday. It seems silly since I barely know you, but your family and your experience has truly touched my heart. You will all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteMatt & Lisel Zito
So sorry for your loss, yet so happy that your faith and love have carried you all so well during this difficult time. My thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteI saw Van as a true friend and a good example to his fellow men. I wish that circumstances could have brought us together more often, but I look forward to seeing him on the other side someday.
ReplyDeleteWendy and Family,
ReplyDeleteOur hearts broke to hear of Pres. Heder's passing. We express our sincere love to you at this time of loss! We know he is doing great things on the other side! I will never forget the borrowed angelic strength he summoned to speak to us all in stake conference. That image will always be with me!
Love and Prayers
Maia Caldwell
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry for your loss. What an amazing husband, father, friend, teacher and missionary Vas was. So many people have been blessed by his life and example. Thank you for sharing the past six months of Van's life with all of us.
Our prayers continue to be with you and your family. We love you.
Kyle and Paula Anderson
and family
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing these precious and sacred experiences with us through your blog. I have always been impressed by and looked up to your incredible family. My heart is aching for you and the kids, but rejoices in the Plan of Salvation and the eternal nature of families. I imagine Van is already busy doing great work on the other side!
Love,
Carina Dillon
Wendy and Family, We just returned home and read your blog. Our hearts are full of gratitude for knowing your husband and father. He is such an amazing man! Thank you for sharing your joys and sorrows through this blog. We have been strengthened and edified by the words written and the feelings conveyed. It is not easy to share your innermost thoughts with the world, but we are grateful that you did. We are better people because of what we have learned from you. Van taught by example and your family has followed that example. All of you are heroes and missionaries in our eyes. The gospel is so wonderful. It brings us all together to share the sorrows and trials of this life and gives us the knowledge that earth life is temporary and eternal life with our family will go on forever. The Lord will continue to comfort and bear you up until your family will be united once more. We love you and continue to pray for all of you. You will always have a loving husband and father watching over you along with our Heavenly Father.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Ron and Shauna Peterson
Dear Wendy and family,
ReplyDeleteI was so saddend to receive the news of Vans passing. My heart and prayers go out to you. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation. Thank you for sharing the past 6 months. Your faith and testimony are an inspiration to me.
We send our love and prayers,
Steve and Brandy Farnsworth
Dear Wendy and Family,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is heavy this morning with the passing of Van. For the last 5 months, I have had to check Wendys blog to see how Van was doing daily. Van has been such a strength in my life over these last few months. His example and testimony are amazing. "Never a better Hero, Never a truer man". What courage and faith Van had. I pray people never forget his strength, faith, testinomy and conviction in the gosple. Wendy, your as a Mother in Heaven. What a wife, servant, mother and leader. Remember, "If ye have done it unto the least of these my brothern, ye have done it unto me". What blessings you will recieve for your caring love of Van. May God bless your family. Thank you and my prayers are with you and your family.
Lisa Pangos Christiansen
Dear Wendy:
ReplyDeleteYesterday evening as I drove up the street toward your home taking my daughter her supper at work, in the sky was a double rainbow and I had the thought - what a beautiful message from your sweet husband. I wanted to stop and tell you but you were having dinner on the porch with your family and I didn’t want to disturb you.
One the wonderful memories I will have is when we went to visit you both in the hospital. As we went to leave, I looked back at President Heder and he struggled to wave his hand goodbye. I will treasure that memory forever.
How grateful we are to have known you both. How grateful for the influence you both have had on our family and especially the influence of your husband on our daughter. We will be eternally grateful.
As I have contemplated the days ahead, I have thought how wonderful it is that you have such optimism. Whenever we had the opportunity to visit with you, we always felt uplifted by your spirit. Thank you so much. We have so enjoyed reading the blog. What a treasure that will be for your family.
Please know you will be in our thoughts and prayers. I am sure in those tender special moments when you need him most his spirit will be with you.
May Heavenly Father’s comforting spirit be with you and your family now and in the days ahead.
We love you!
Janet Halladay
Heder family! (This also includes Bro. Heder)
ReplyDeleteI am not qualified to know how you are feeling at this time being apart. I also do not know the thoughts and heartaches you are all experiencing. I do know however, that you are all great examples and the charity and love you have given each other will be the biggest tool in overcoming the many hard days ahead. I also know the countenance you all have shows what spiritual strength you have and shows the trust you have in our Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing that trust with us and we pray the seperation seems very short! We love you all!
Love,
Kerianda & Aaron Proctor and family
To the man who knocked upon a new move in’s door
ReplyDeleteTo the man who came in even though we didn’t answer
To the man who decided to take a long haired, long goateed, 20 year old, and have him teach a class full of return missionaries
To the man who helped me find my passion for teaching
To the man who unknown to him put me bac...k on solid religious ground
To the man who showed love to everyone he met
To the man who exemplified fatherhood and honor to womanhood
I bid farewell and adieu until next we meet at heavens gate
Sam and Amber Clark
I have nothing but wonderful things about Brother Heder. I have had the opportunity to spend time with your children. They are awesome children which says a lot for you, Wendy, and Brother Heder. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteWendy:
ReplyDeleteFrom the LDS Hospital Branch Relief Society, we want to express our love for you, your husband, and your family. We will miss your attendance in our branch. We pray that you will be bouyed up by the Comforter and the Angels of our Father in Heaven will attend you as you enter a new chapter in your life.
Amy Winkler, LDS Hospital Branch Relief Society President
My husband and I have followed your blog from day 1. As we would read my husband would stop, take a deep breath and say " that man is my new hero". The only person he's ever said that about was his dad. We have enjoyed getting to know your sweet family. As I told Loren about Van, all he could say is how it hurt his heart and how he wishes he could be here. We are truly better people for knowing you. Thank you for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteApril and Loren Stonehocker
I am so sorry for your loss, I could not imagine what you and your family are going through. I have never met you or your family but my thoughts and prayers are with you. My good friend is dying of Leukemia, she has had an unsuccessful bone marrow transplant and the doctors have given her 4 months to live. She is only 28 and has toddlers at home. Regardless of the age and what point in life anyone is at the hurt is the same. God bless you and yours and know that a stranger is praying for you.
ReplyDeleteHe left an amazing legacy and will indeed affect many generations both within his family and outside his family.
ReplyDeleteWe love the Heder family and mourn with you.
-Corey and Amy Price
Wendy, I was stunned to hear of your loss and offer my sincerest condolances. I wish you and your family peace and spiritual warmth at this time. Things like this can be so hard to understand. God Bless you and yours during this time of sorrow.
ReplyDeleteSister Heder and family,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear of Brother Heder's passing. I just wanted to let you know that he was a person who had a great influence on me. I don't know that he even would have remembered me, but he was my seminary teacher when I was fourteen. That was a time in my life when I really didn't know where I was going and was making some poor choices. But Brother Heder really helped me turn some things around. Since then, I graduated high school after moving to Illinois, attended BYU-Idaho, married my sweetheart in the temple, and we have had two children. Brother Heder was one of the people who helped give my story a happy ending. My gratitude goes to him for that.
Your family will be in our prayers.
With love,
Brittany Willis
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. It has been a very long time since I saw you and Van and so many years have passed. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers, especially at this extremely hard time for you and your family.
Love,
Camille Murdock Palmer
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI was so sorry to hear of your husbands passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Love, Kelly
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteIt's been 20+ years since we talked...we grew up in the same ward in Garfield, graduated together too.
I am so sorry to hear about Van. You are a very strong and inspirational woman and in looking through this blog, so was Van. Know my prayers are with you and your family. My heart breaks for you. But, it is such a blessing to know that "Families are forever", you will live with Van again. And that our heavenly father hears and answers our prayers. I pray for comfort and strength for you and the kids. Beautiful family Wendy! Love, Tannis Parke
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI know we only talked a few times in the hospital. But I just wanted you to know that you and Van have had such an impact on me. I am so sorry for your loss. You are such a strong woman! I want you to know that you and Van were in my prayers everyday since we met (and still are) I feel so lucky to have crossed paths with you and Van, if only for a moment. Reading your blog has given me so much courage and more faith about fighting our own battle with this horrible disease! I love you and wish you all the best, you deserve nothing less. I am sad I won't get to spend time with you at the hospital, but glad you get to be home with your family! I hope one day I can be as strong a woman as you are. Thanks for touching my life. You are truly an angel!
Amy & Clint Jepperson
Dear Heder Family
ReplyDeleteI sit in my office this evening and hear of the passing of a very dear friend. I am deeply hurt to hear of his passing, yet comforted to know that he loved ones with him.
My heart and prayers are with you at this time. Van was a true Archetype and an inspiration to me and those around him. Van inspired and lifted people up in countless ways throughout his life. He showed true compassion and comforted those in need. Van’s love of his God and religion radiated throughout his life.
It is rare in life that we meet someone who knows who and what they are. Van’s Vessel was full thirty years ago and continued to grow with the man that he became. His selfless nature and personality will always be remembered. I will hold a special place in my heart for the memories of joy and kindness that are Van.
With heavy heart I say farewell to a friend and look forward to the day we meet again.
May your family be blessed in your time of need!
Marcus and Mary Melville
Heder family,
ReplyDeleteI am so sad to hear the news. Van was an amazing person! He was my seminary teacher when he worked at Cyprus in Magna, and I also had the pleasure of taking care of him in the hospital. May God bless you and comfort you! You are all in my prayers. I am so greatful that I had the pleasure and blessing of knowing Van. You will forever hold a special place in my heart. I love you all very much.
Love,
Chelsea Jordan
(cna at LDS hospital)
Wendy, So sorry to hear of your loss, May the Lord be with you and your family during this time. Keep your family close. They will help you through this. David Ellsworth
ReplyDeleteDear Wendy,
ReplyDeleteMy heart dropped when I read the news last night. My thoughts and prayers have been with you the last few days. I knew how fragile Van's life was. As we both know, it's a day at a time with Leukemia! I'm so sad it didn't work out for Van and you and your family. I too have been uplifted by your blog. You always had something that helped me to see the positive! I'll miss seeing you on East 8th. It will be a little less cheery. We'll be thinking about you and will remember you in our prayers. Melanie said, "I feel like we should go to the funeral!" I think we will have to pass. Maybe we can come and see you at your house on one of our visits to SLC. We have to come down on Tues. for a spinal with chemo. It's the Mountain Dew again. She has to have four more of those and another bone marrow biopsy to see how many donor cells are there. We hope the funeral gives you comfort. It's amazing how the support from others helps in your time of loneliness. I felt it AND the comforter at the time of my mother's passing in Feb. I know that there is life after death and we can feel the spirits of those who have departed when we need them. My real mother died when I was five. I've felt her presence at different times in my life. We have such a wonderful plan for our lives don't we? I hope you know that I've really appreciated your kindness and friendship these last few months. It seems like an eternity doesn't it? Good luck with your future. Keep the faith! Love Peggy Balls
Wendy and children,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so very full of love, compassion and yes, a little bit of sorrow. Our family checked into your blog everyday. You are in our daily prayers and everytime we went to the temple we put your names on the prayer roll, but everything was asked according to the will of the Lord. Kaylene had your family be the center of one of her Personal Progress projects. The cards that she brought to your house was part of that and she fasted for your family everyweek, prayed for you everyday and put your name on as many temple prayer rolls that she could find numbers for. It was a wonderful experience for her and her faith and testimony has grown because of it. Your strenghth and faith has helped, not only us, but so many people. You are one of those families that people come to so they can comfort you and they come away being comforted. As hard as it is for us to realize that President Heder has passed on, I feel that this is the Lord's will. I am so glad that we had the trek experience with you last summer. President Heder's testimony on the trail and your help pushing our handcart on the women's pull helped my faith and testimony grow even more. The Lord and Van are watching over you and they always will.
Love to you always,
Kevin and Teresa Lemmon and family
I posted a comment once and it is not on here so lets try it again.
ReplyDeleteTo the Heder Family,
Our hearts and prayers are with you at this time. Obviously the work that the Lord had for him on this earth was done. As i read your post it reminded me of a lesson I taught back when I taught seminary.
It was about a tapastry that was woven on a loom and although we can only see it one thread at a time the Lord sees the whole picture and what the finale product should be. He is the one that guides the thread through.
So even though his life was short the Lord guided him and helped shaped his life to that finale man that he was and that is when the Lord said its done.
We were blessed to have him as part of all of our lives and know those in heaven will also be blessed.
We love you guys. Hang in there and remember that he is always with you and he will always be watching his wonderful family!
Love,
JenniLyn and Matt Wilcox
Dear Heder family,
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking for a couple of days about what to write. I wanted to find exactly the right words to say, words to somehow ease your pain. Then I realized that I don't believe those words exist so, I thought I'd just convey one of the best times I ever had in High School.
It was on a blistering hot summer day. Me, Cindy (Smith) Cliften, Paul Valenzuela, Van, and a few other teens decided to go "ice blocking" at Sugarhouse Park. There is/was a great ice manufacturing place just west of the park where we could pick up large solid blocks of ice that were big enough to sit on and slide down the steep hills of the park. You were guaranteed to have hours of fun, and a wet fanny! Anyway, we drove my Dad's little car, some sort of Datsun (that ages us eh?). After plenty of times carrying an ice block up a hill and then sliding down as fast as we could, the ice eventually melted. We returned to Cindy and Van's neighborhood to drop off the first wave of people wearing grass stains and soggy drawers. Well, somehow the bet was made that Paul, Van, and the other football players who accompanied us could easily pick up my dad's small car. Well, they did. Picked up the rear of the car and thanks to the cold from the ice blocks we had previously stored in the trunk, the blistering sun pounding on the glass, and the torsion on the car...The back window literally exploded. I wish you could have seen the looks on their faces!! We must have laughed about that one for weeks! (Thank heavens my dad wasn't upset...)
I have a lot of great memories thanks to Van. Things were always a little brighter when he was around. Thank God he was a part of my world, even if it were for such a brief time.
May God bless you all with the strength and comfort you need.
Love,
Michelle Osborn Keller
Wendy you don't know me but I work with Lesley Rominger so I have been following your story over the past months and praying for your family. I lost my husband of 34 years last July; my heart goes out to you. Angels will hover near and you will be comforted in amazing ways - I promise.
ReplyDeleteSandi
Dear Heder Family
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry for your loss. What an amazing man Brother Heder is. What an amazing family you all are. You are true examples of living the gospel of Jesus Christ to its fullest, and I know He will continue to bless you as you tackle the days ahead.
You are all in our prayers!
Love,
Darrell, Debbie, Tyler, Megan and Emily Kirby
You do not know me, but I am a long time friend of the Stephen Heder family and found this blog in connection with his facebook. I do not know you, but my heart goes to you. I was so touched by your posts of love, family, and the spiritual connection of helping Van move on. It was an emotional moment even for me when I read of his passing just today, and I cannot imagine your loss of such a wonderful man. I can feel of his spirit read through your words of love and tenderness. I am most sorry for your loss, but so happy for your wonderful testimony of the gospel. "Hoorah for Isreal!" Families are eternal. Families are FOREVER.
ReplyDeleteLouisa Griffith
Wendy,
ReplyDeleteYou may not remember me because it has been so long since I have had any communication with your family now that I live in Hawaii, but I found out about Van's condition on Facebook from some old friends at Jordan High School. I fondly remember looking up to Van from my freshman year onward and honestly feel that I am a much better person today because of Van's influence and example in my life. Van was always so kind, full of love, and never judgmental. I have always loved and admired him and always will.
Reading your blog was very difficult for me because I realized how hard it was to hear about the extent of his trials and suffering and how much love I still had in my heart for Van even though I have not had communication with him for many years. I will never forget his love and example and I will always strive to be that type of man myself.
With much love,
Don McEntire
To Wendy, Your Children and ALL of the extended Heder Family,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss, and extend to you my sincere condolences.
Unfortunately, having moved to Australia 20 years ago, I have not had contact with Van, Bill and thier family for many years. The Heder family moved into my ward in Sandy from Richfield during our high school days. Obviously attended Jordan with him and church each week.
Van (and all of the Family) were always a tower of strength, positive influence and Spiritual Giants to everyone they came into contact with. I too could recite many a story of his strength and influence for good he had on our priesthood group of Young Men and his classmates at JHS.
To now understand that he became a Seminary Teacher illustrates to me his selfless character. I can only imagine the tremendous example and influence he had on the lives of so many of the Youth he had contact with, even beyond his classroom.
Wendy, you and your children have had the opportunity and blessing to commune with one of God's great and valiant servants. May the Lord continue to bless your lives at Van's parting, while you each await the glorious day of an Eternal reunion.
God blessed each of us with our time and association with Van, may He bless you in this time of sorrow.
Jerry Steadman
Brisbane, Australia
Once a missionary...truer words were never spoken.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it has been many years since I was in school with Van in Richfield, I somehow stumbled across the news of his death tonight. It was no accident. I have stayed up for hours now reading over the entire content of this blog and have been inspired in ways that I really needed right now. Thank you for taking time to share your testimonies and incredible insights.
I knew years ago that Van Heder was an elect son of our Heavenly Father and his life and family have proven that. My prayers are with you, Wendy, and your children and extended families at this time. Bless you for your examples of strength, humility, and utter faith. My challenges and burdens seem so much lighter tonight and I will move forward with renewed determination tomorrow to bless the lives of my family and friends and serve them with joy...because I can.
Shauntel Christensen Hogan
Dearest Wendy and Heder Families,
ReplyDeleteI have had problems with my computer for a few days and was just heart broken as I read the news of the passing of your dear Van.
May the Lord bless and comfort you at this time of sorrow and heartache, and may you find comfort and joy in the memories and examples that you have shared in, through the life of your wonderful Eternal companion, Dad, Brother, Son, and Dear Friend. You all have touched so many lives through your strength and courage and love of Family and also your Love of the Lord. Our lives will be forever changed through your great examples. May the Lord keep you ever in His Tender Care is our prayer for you now, and in the days to come.
Sincerely and with Much Love,
Marsha and Michael Peterson and family
Dearest Wendy,
ReplyDeleteWe are blessed to know you and Van. Your faith has helped me in many ways. I loved the song performed by Van's sibling at the funeral, I was deeply touched. I loved Bill's talk. I could envision their story as boys and the death of the woman who owned the movied theater. It should be a book or in a movie. Van's life has motivated me to be better, to do better. My focus is more clear and I am so greatful for your outstanding example of love and courage. We will talk soon. We love you, very much!
Mendy Livingston
Dear Heder Family,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for the delay in offering my condolences. We have been out of town and heard through a text message of Van's passing. I didn't think it possible at that time and couldn't stop crying and still have a hard time holding back the tears. It seems so sad to me that such a valiant person was taken when he was doing so much good and could have brought so many more to the knowledge of the truth had he been allowed to remain here longer, but I'm sure he has an important work on the other side and I'm glad he is no longer suffering.
Van was an incredible example of a Christ-like life. I look up to him and your entire family so much and wish we'd used our time as neighbors and associates a little better and gotten to know you better and learned more from you. I wish we had been a bit more mature to realize how much you were actually helping us and been able to thank you properly. I'm glad that someone told us about this blog so we could keep an eye on how you all are doing.
I am in awe of the composure you have through this ordeal and hope that I can learn to accept God's will with unquestioning grace the way you have.
We love you and hope that you can feel the love and support of those around you and those on the other side of the veil in the time ahead. Our prayers are with you and your family. We love you.
Lenae Smith