Sunday, May 30, 2010

Touch and go


Thanks for all your posts on our blog.  I don’t know how to adequately thank you all for you words of encouragement and support.  But just know that each time you post, it automatically comes to my e-mail and I wait until Van wakes up a little bit and I read them to him. 

Yesterday was the hardest day we have had so far.  He was spitting up bright red liquid blood so much that we couldn’t keep an oxygen mask on him so his oxygen level would drop into the 60’s within minutes.  They had him on a c-pap machine with 50% oxygen but he had to take it off when he started coughing so much.  By the afternoon his blood pressure went to 180/100, on as much oxygen as possible, and his heart rate was 145.

They made the decision to incubate him and put him on a venelator to breath for him.  So at 8:30 last night they put it in, along with a feeding tube, a pump to pump out the blood from his lungs, a catheter, and probably a lot more that I don’t know about (because they had me leave the room).  When I got back they put in a sensor of some kind in his arm to automatically check his blood pressure and oxygen level after the blood leaves the heart.  So it is very accurate at all times.  The other arm they put an I.V. because he is getting so many medications at one time they needed a fourth line.

People are worrying about me, but the Lord provided me with a friend (whose husband lost the fight to cancer last January) and my sister who were there for me in the darkest times of the day yesterday.  Van’s sister in Iowa called right at the time when I was taking a walk and trying to calm down from the news and she called his entire family and by 11:00 they were all there with me so I wasn’t alone. 

In the afternoon, the Branch President came to visit us and told us that Van’s name was being put on the Prophet’s personal prayer list (I think it’s because he is in the Stake Presidency) and he was aware of him.  He also told me that when Van needed a blessing he should put his hand on my head and assist in giving me one.  We all went into his room so his brothers could give him a blessing.    Afterwards for my blessing, I put my head on the bed next to Van’s hand and placed it on top of my head (because it is tied down to the bed with an elastic that moves just a little) while his brothers gave me a blessing, with him assisting in that blessing.  There wasn’t a dry eye in the room.  It was so wonderful to feel the priesthood working.

This morning he received an ECO and his heart is at 25% instead of 55%.  They think it could have been from the chemo but not sure.  His kidneys are a little worse today.  And he just got a liver ultra sound and an EKG.  We signed up to be a part of a study to prevent CMV which is a very bad lung virus that accompanies pneumonia.  The Doctor said it was too late for the study because he already has it.  So our doctor called the FDC and got permission to use this drug experimentally.  It doesn’t even have a name yet it’s called CMX001.  But it has been proven a few times to cure.  We start that today and it will be twice a week.  They have to take blood draws every hour to two hours for a few days.

I told you a lot of information but please don’t feel bad because this is so much better than the last four days.  He is finally resting (so that means I can rest). 



15 comments:

  1. Dear Wendy and Van:
    Since the day Van got diagnosed ( I was visiting from California at Karen and Lane's) you have been in our prayers and thoughts daily. My Mother and Father in Law ask about you every day I come in to see them, and they also pray for you. I am certain that there are no appropriate words to describe how deeply sorry we are that you are going through this trial. I keep having the distinct feeling that angels are ministering to each of you and that you will never be alone. Please know that we have loved and admired you for a very long time, and are sending our support through the miles. May Father's mercy lighten your burdens... don't give up hope! Love, Rick, Linda and the Hartley Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Heder and Wendy, we follow your blog and it breaks our hearts to read what you are going through individually, and as a family. We have watched and learned many things from your family. We love you guys and pray for you daily. We know that Heavenly Father hears the many, many prayers sent out on your behalf. Love you guys, Marty and Peggy Estrada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    I just want you to know how much we love you and are still praying for Uncle Van to get better. It will come. Let us know if there's anything we can do. -alea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Wendy and Van,

    My name is Marcella Heintz and I was the little girl next door when Steve Heder and family lived in Occidental CA.

    I am praying for your recovery, Van, and am so looking forward to meeting you; from what I've read you are not the least bit surely like your brother Steve is! (hehe)

    I will never forget calling him when I was aged four and asking him to come over to play and he, in his surely way, said no, never, nada. After reading about you, I would surmise that you would have taken pity on the little country girl and accepted such a heartfelt invitation!

    Hoping this anecdote brought a smile and am sending prayers, wishes, and love from a stranger who doesn't know you but wants nothing but the best for you.

    With love and prayers,

    Marcella Heintz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom and Dad,
    We love you so much. Today we wrote in our journals about this entire experience. We wrote to our future posterity that, If dad is still alive when they read our journals that they should call or visit him, because he has such a strong testimony and so much knowledge and understanding of the atonement. Also that he will be willing to teach them anything they want to know. They will be blessed to be taught by him.
    We went to the temple yesterday and did some initiatories for some family members, we made sure that your names are in the temple. We know that all these prayers will help and that our combined faith will carry dad through this recovery. Thanks for your faith, we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lance and I went to Seminary graduation in our stake tonight. Van, you were mentioned by one of the student speakers. She thanked you for your service to her. You have changed lives through your service in the Lord's kingdom and through your professioal life. Thank you. Hang in there. Your story has touched us and helped us to feel the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want you to know that I love you. I love you very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy and Van

    I take care of patients daily going through the same thing you are. I make the Chemo and its a tough thing to go through. The one thing you have that will carry you through, is your faith and testimony in the Gospel Of Jesus Christ. Every time I read and check in on Van, I grow stronger. Reading ang growing from your stregnth, increases my testimony. Your a true example of what we were sent here to do. "Be and do as Christ would" Van you are doing that right now and your not ever trying. I pray for you daily as I work. Know that you are loved and thought of. Lisa Pangos Christiansen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Heder Family,
    My name is Ashlee Curtis, You may be wondering who I am :) I went to school with your beautiful daughters! (and took seminary at tooele) I read and follow your blog, strengthens my testimony every time I read it, you guys are a perfect example of how we should all be! Thank you for your amazing faith and knowledge, Van I really enjoyed listening to you speak a while back at stake conference, you are an amazing man! My father when I was younger passed away from a battle of cancer that he fought for about three years, your situation makes me think of him and my mother often and I feel a great deal for your family. As you already know you are loved by many and I cant thank you enough for your kind loving hearts! Love always Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elder & Sister Harrison in EcuadorMay 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM

    Dear Wendy,

    As one of your friends said in her comment, "it breaks our hearts to read what you are going through individually and as a family". Your mutual faith, courage and strength are amazing. You are the last thing I think about when I fall asleep at night and the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning. I cannot imagine anything worse than watching someone you love go through this kind of ordeal. We know as you know that God is still a God of miracles, and we are praying with all our hearts that Heavenly Father will grant the miracle you need.

    Much love,

    (Aunt) Alene
    Elder y Hermana Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  11. Van and Wendy,

    You all are in our prayers. We pray for the best and peace and comfort where the Lord will allow. One biggest lesson I've learned in an ICU is that all is truely in the Lord's Hands. I know you are more acutly aware of this than I can possibly explain to you. The Lord has his hand in so much. Doctors and nurses work so hard to fix the body. It is no different than the Spirit. Someone can share thier light with us, but ultimatly it comes from us and the Lord. Same is true with the body. The Lord is the ultimate healer. We continue to pray for and think about you.

    Mark and Michelle (Heder) Nance

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're still praying for you! I love that Van helped to give you a blessing, Wendy! Please hang in there, Van! It's going to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Van and Wendy,
    We read your blog and are anxious to hear any news from you. Your strength and courage are such examples to the rest of us. We think our trials in life are hard...and then we witness someone who is having REAL TRIALS...and handling it with such faith and courage. You are both true heroes to all of us. We pray for you both and for you wonderful supportive family. May the Lord bear you up and keep you close. It is truly amazing what the body can go through to be healed. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and pray the Lord's blessings to be with you always.
    Love Ron and Shauna Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear friends Van and Wendy,
    Scott and I have been watching your blog; me from the states, and Scott from Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan where he is deployed. Though there is not much we can do to ease the suffering of your current burden, Scott suggested I bring you a flag that he has flown over the Middle East in honor of the strength, courage and bravery that you are exhibiting in your current fight. These are the very values that we as a country are founded on, and we as a family are uplifted by your amazing example. We are praying for you, and know that the Lord is aware of your whole family as He holds Van in the hollow of His hand.
    Scott and Renee Loveless

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Wendy,
    I am sorry to hear of your great loss. I know that this must be difficult for you, but at the same time, the gospel can bring the peace of mind to you of what is "Yet to Come". I have been struggling with a health related illness myself, although is has not caused me death, it has caused me to be on disability. I feel very bad when I am down worrying about me, when, in reality, there is someone who always has life worse than yourself. I wish I was there to give you a hug and wish you the best! It is really hard to see loved ones suffer, but being a hospice nurse, I know that your husband is glad that his trial is over.
    Dwayne Hinckley & Family

    ReplyDelete