Last night they had to put another I.V. in his arm to be able to accommodate all the extra medicines they needed to put through him. It took two hours and three nurses to finally put the I.V. in place. I thought he had a lot of I.V. medications yesterday but now there are even more. He has five pumps and an I.V. in one arm. Some pumps are pumping two medications each. His I.V. in his arm started turning red, puffy and really hurting him. So they took it out and re-poked the other arm to finish all the medicines.
Today Van asked the Doctors why he is feeling so bad and they said we have killed off all of you’re ability to heal. The neutrophils in your body, that are in charge of healing- are dead. You have all this dead tissue that can’t heal including in your gastrointestinal system where you eat. So he is going to be sick all the time until the new stems cells take root and start producing good cells of their own in a quantity high enough to start healing his body which could be months.
He is super tired, nauseous most of the time but today he was able to eat so they took him off TPN (I.V. nutrition). It’s funny how we are so happy for the little things. Every once in a while we have a good moment and we cherish those moments.
Van was so miserable and sick this past week and thinking what a relief death would bring. He started to pray that the Lord would relieve his suffering. A scripture came to his mind D&C 45:26 "And in that day shall be heard of wars and rumors of wars, and the whole earth shall be in commotion, and men’s hearts shall fail them, and they shall say that Christ delayeth his coming until the end of the earth."
Van speaking: It was then that the impression hit me that I'm going to have to see this through. The Lord will test me to the end. Even beyond what I think my capacities may be. My thoughts are that suffering allows us to obtain a level of understanding of the Saviors Atonement that is unique and special. It also sanctifies us and that is not an easy process. It cannot be and will never be easy.
Van was trying to escape from the hospital today. No just kidding. The Doctor gave him permission to go outside for the last time - in a long time.


No wonder we are invited and counseled to study the healing word of God - for in times like these, those precious nuggets of truth will permeate through our hearts, enter into our minds and fill us with unique and personal understanding that helps us to heal, helps us to endure.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing, for enduring, for being everything the Lord wants you to be.
I am grateful and blessed to know you!!
The Lord knows what we can handle. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He won't let us just float by. He is making Gods and Goddesses. We have the potential to be like Him, in every way, in fact, to be joint-heirs with Christ. He will push us to the limits of our endurance so that we can find out for ourselves how strong and faithful we are.
ReplyDeleteThe Lord knows how faithful and strong you are. We are praying for you today especially!! May the Lord be with you!!
Van- you're going to kick this thing! I love FEELING your testimony and getting little glimpses of what you are going through, although I hate to see your suffering. I KNOW the Lord will buoy you up and sustain you BOTH throughout this ordeal. It was fun to see that you found a spot for the vinyl lettering! Wendy, PLEASE email me with another quote that might be just perfect for the hospital rooma and I'll get it cut for you! Sending Germ-Free Cyber hugs your way! Love, Valerie
ReplyDelete