I’ve been told that when some of you read the blog, it makes you cry. If you are one of those people you might want to skip this next paragraph.
For the last few days, Van has had a hard time breathing. When he breathes it is VERY labored and he has been on 50% oxygen. That is only one of the many reasons he was taken to ICU today. During the night and this morning, Van has been coughing up blood because his lungs are bleeding (pulmonary hemorrhaging). They have raised his platelet parameter from 20 to 100. They took the blood thinner medicine away. He has pneumonia which gets worse every day. The central line infection was staff. They have already tried two different anti-biodics to try and get rid of it. He has blood in his urine, his kidneys are having a hard time functioning, his liver is struggling. He is jaundice especially in his eyes – they are yellow with a coating over them. I know there is more but I don’t want to worry you any more.
They plan on treating him aggressively and will meet in rounds tomorrow to determine more things they can do for him. Nobody knows how long we will be here. But we know we are in good hands and are glad there is a place where they can take care of us so well. For the past five months, I always told myself when things got rough – “We’ll at least it isn’t as bad to go to ICU”. Now I’m not sure what to say. Except Van’s brother knows a man who’s daughter had leukemia and was in and out of ICU a half of a dozen times. It has now been 9 months and she is doing well. So we only have good things to hope for.
In Alma 32: 21 “And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.” This is our new motto for the day.
I expected to have a lot of rules in ICU but the main ones are no children under 14 and only two visitors at one time. I am able to be with him during the day. But at night they want him to sleep plus they don’t have room for me to sleep in the ICU. But they are letting me sleep in his other room on the 8th floor at night. They said they will hold our room for us, so please don’t worry about our BYU room or shrine as some people call it. It will still be there for us when he get’s well enough to go back.
Friday, May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wendy I wish I was there right now so I could give you a hug! I am so sorry you are going through this right now. Please call me anytime if you need anything at all, even just to talk. Know that Clint and I are praying so hard for Van and for you right now! We'll be back for tests and meetings almost daily starting on Tuesday so if you need anything at all let me know and I'll bring it to you. Stay strong!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you have to face this challenge. But if there is one thing that I have learned as wife, mother and nurse is that the hand of the Lord is in all things. I know, you know that, but sometimes I think we forget for a short moment. When those moments come it is generally from fear of the unkown. I want you to know, from a nurses perspective, President Heder is where he needs to be. ICU nurses are AWESOME! It is a different pace, a different setting than the floor, but ICU nurses know their stuff and I love them. When I am at work and I have a feeling or can't seem to figure something out, I always call my friends in ICU for help.
ReplyDeleteSister Heder~I don't know you, (but I do know your husband through my oldest son and seminary) but I admire you. Thank you for taking the time to share with us your struggles so we can cry with you. I personally have hardened my emotions, (especially the ones that I deal with on a daily basis at work, just so I can make it through my day/night of work) but to have someone I know and love go through so much allows me those tears not only for you, but for all of those whom I serve. I am so truly sorry. I know this is hard, and just know prayers are answered.
Take care and thank you again
Sister Kim Hopkins
We love you and our prayers are with your family! Wendy if you need anything please call us. We are here. Our hearts our with you to have the strength and health to continue this stressful journey. We pray that Van can handle this suffering, and continue to get better.
ReplyDeleteWe love you all!
Love Lyn & Pateresa Johnson and family
Hang in there we have had two members in ICU units over the years. They can be very nerve racking but these units can help Heavenly Father make miracles happen.
ReplyDeleteWe are there for you if ever you need us.
LaDawn & Jody
Not a day goes by that I don't think about, and pray for you and your family. May God provide comfort, strength, and peace as you continue through such a daunting challenge. May you feel His presence near.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Michelle Osborn Keller
Our Faith and Prayers are with you! Keep the Faith. Love ya PK
ReplyDeleteBro. Heder thanks so much for being such a wonderful Seminary teacher. I always felt the Spirit in your class and you were always so willing to answer my questions. I know many other students feel the same. Hang in there! We're all praying for you. Thank you for your strength and example to me!
ReplyDeleteLove, Renee Adams
Dear Brother Heder and fam,
ReplyDeleteYou are going through on one of the greatest adventures of your life!! This experience is going to do one of the most fantastic things for you, something that many people will never experience. Just as Jesus Christ our Savior suffered in the Garden in order to get acquainted with us, you get to experience this adventure that will let you get more acquainted with God. This is the price you will pay in order to get more fully acquainted with Christ. My friend Sarah wrote a fantastic story. It’s about a Spartan warrior who’s been fighting for so long and hard, and is exhausted, feeling like he can’t fight any more. But he looks his enemy in his eyes, and sees the determination and fire in his enemy’s eyes. Little did the enemy know that he kindled the fire in the Spartan warrior’s heart. Little did he know that this was a true Spartan warrior. The Spartan warrior fought his enemy and won. More enemies surrounded him, and he fought them all off. But more and more came, he noticed that he was surrounded, but he wouldn’t give up. Just as he saw that the end was here, he heard a loud trumpet. His enemies fled, and the Spartan warrior looked up to see the Spartan king. The Spartan king spoke to him saying, “my son, don’t give up the fight, keep going I will fight beside you and together we will defeat the enemy.”
Brother Heder, you have people fighting right along side you; your family, your friends and neighbors, and most importantly, our Savior. Thank you so much for being the best seminary teacher I’ve ever had. If I can, I’d like to come visit you when you get feeling a bit better. Remember to smile!! We are all praying for you!!
Bethany Farley
My heart and hope goes out to you. Most of us will eventually face these hardships at some point of our lives, but it is difficult to understand the torment that each of us experience during difficult times. The scriptures are a nice post to lean on because there are others we can relate with. I want you to know that I am a friend from high school and even though I have not seen him for a long time, I feel like it was just yesterday that I saw him walking down the hall, smiling, setting a good example and caring about others around him. This has made a rippling affect that has been positive and remember you are not alone. Much good comes from the pain and suffering of those we love. We never know when or how, but there is hope. There will always be hope if you will let the Lord help guide you each day. There are hundreds of us out here, we see you and aren't going anywhere. Thank you for posting your comments on this blog so that we may have a small part of the experience that you have been given, for some special reason.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you and your family. Let's hope for a miracle. There have been many, there will be more.