Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The New Norm


People ask me all the time, “How is Van doing?”  My reply is great!  I started thinking about that.  The word GREAT is very subjective.  Three months ago when I said "He is doing great" is totally different than at this time.   Now, when I  say he is doing great, he probably has only thrown up once in the last few days, he’s had a blood and platelet transfusion, his white blood cell count is zero so he doesn’t have an immune system and he’s bald and tired all the time.  But he is doing GREAT!  It’s the new norm! 
This afternoon Van had his first fever scare.  I took his temperature and it was 100.6, I called the doctor and they had us come into the outpatient to take more blood cultures (7 bottles of blood).  His temperature was normal when we got here but decided to spike right before we were supposed to leave.  They are worried about infection especially since he doesn’t have an immune system.  So they checked us into Hotel Leukemia.  We even have a view of the Salt Lake Temple.  How cool is that?   
We wanted to thank everyone for their letters, emails, posts and phone calls.  It’s so good to hear from you.  When you post to our blog, we immediately receive it in our inbox.  So we don’t miss any of your comments, we are always kept up-to-date.  I just wanted to remind everyone about the information on the right side of our blog.  You can find information about how to post a comment, how to contact us, and how to be a bone marrow donor.  Thanks so much for your love and support.   

6 comments:

  1. Wendy,,,thinking about you..what a positive, wonderful person you are! I want to be like you when I grow up! ;) Marta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking about the Heder's in Vegas and hoping you know we love you. Tanner has been in the MTC for six weeks now and heads to Russia in a month. He said tell Brother Heder I said hello so I am. I will be in Salt Lake the first week of April and would love to come say hi if I can. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep doing GREAT! We're praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Van and Wendy


    This is Kendall Smith a old football team mate of Van's from good old Jordan High..... I wished we could reconnect under different situation. I want to let you know that you are in my prayers and may God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of you and your family all the time! You are all so strong and I admire that and look up to your examples. Know that my love and prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy & Van,
    It's Friday, March 25th. We were at the clinic this morning getting blood draws and a neupogen shot. Our oldest daughter, Kim had to go back to Colorado so I'm back staying with Melanie at our son, Greg's house. I didn't read the blog until after we had left the clinic and returned home. Are you still there? What room are you in? I didn't know there was a room with a view of the temple. This leukemia trek is quite a patience tester isn't it? We hope that Van continues to receive the strength that he needs. Thanks for the Flower bouquet and the St. Patrick's day dishes. My family and I used them last Sunday when we were visiting. Cami loved the color of the cups! Thanks for your thoughtfulness. It's fun to have a new friend to share thoughts and feelings with.

    Love the Leukemia Kickers...Peggy and Melanie Balls

    ReplyDelete