Thursday, March 11, 2010

JOY in the Journey

The Doctors started Cytarabine (another Chemo) today. It can have neurological side effects so they do tests on him like you would a drunk driver. Touch his nose, touch all his fingers in sequence, rehearse the alphabet, etc. but he doesn’t have to walk a straight line because he is on lots of anti-nausea drugs that make him woosy anyway. The last Chemo could possibly make really bad mouth and throat sores. So to prevent this, he swishes with salt water every few hours, keeps his mouth moist (drinks and popsicles) and brushes his teeth really well. The last Chemo also kills your liver or kidneys. So they will wait 12 more hours and then give him Leucovorin to rescue his liver or kidneys. I hope all this is correct but if not, it’s really close. Another side-effect is the problem he could develop in the eyes, so they give him eye drops four times a day. He has a fungas on his feet. He also has Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus type of bacteria that doesn’t respond to the usual anti-biodics but they are treating it with vancomycin anti-biodic to see if that will work (I don’t really understand this problem but that is what the paper says).

Van has been asleep most of the day and when he wakes up, it is just to take more nausea medicine. I think it’s better to be asleep than feel the awful feelings that go along with Chemo, don’t you? My neighbor in the next room gave us this quote, “No matter where the body is, the mind is free to go elsewhere!” I told that to Van today and said to remember our Cancun trip which was all-expenses paid for seven days and nights (19 years ago). He smiled and went to sleep. I loved that trip because he spoke Spanish and helped a lot of Americans.


We are hoping to come home from the hospital Sunday but I’m not holding my breath. I’m just going to enjoy the journey because that is what we have embarked on. We might as well find JOY in our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment