When we told the Doctor today that Van has been experiencing cold sweats and chills, he decided we needed to do a blood culture. I had no idea what a blood culture was until today. I have included pictures. Van’s central line has three ports and one of these ports might be harboring infection, so they have to take blood out of each one. These bottles have chemicals in them to begin with and then add 10 cc's or so of blood to each one. They will be tested and results will be back in 24 hours.
They started his Neupogin shots again (it speeds up the white blood cell production). Megan, our 16 year old daughter, is giving him the shots every day because she wants to be a nurse. I (Wendy) would rather not give the shots if I don’t HAVE to. Last time we started these shots, on about day four, he started with horrible bone pain. So the Doctors have been researching and found a few patients that took Clariton and felt it helped. So they started him on it for the last few days to see if there is any truth to it. I LOVE how the Doctors are always researching and trying new things.


I TOTALLY understand why you'd not like to give shots if you don't HAVE to! I hope that the Claritin helps and that if they find anything in the "blood cultures" (and that looks like a LOT of blood in those bottles/tubes?!) there will be a relatively simple and side-effect-free solution.
ReplyDeleteVan: you're amazing--you probably already know that, but still, I HAVE to say it =) ALL THIS and you still manage a little smile for the camera!
You both and all the family and helpers are in my prayers, and many, many others, I know.
LOVE AND HUGS,
Libby